Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Supreme Slider question >

Supreme Slider question

Supreme Slider question

Old 07-11-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
- Reverse pattern foot is installed (that's your basic presser foot to sew everything)
***CORRECTION***
Oops! So glad for the other members of this board. I completely blanked out last night. Do NOT use the reverse pattern foot for FMQ. You want to use a Darning Foot (otherwise called a FMQ foot). It will barely move if you use a reverse pattern foot on it. My apologies.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:04 PM

I bought one and used it just once. Didn't care for it. It's in my sewing room somewhere collecting dust!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Try using the search function in the upper right corner. I just did and there are lots of recent discussions on this topic. I have one. It didn't find it all that helpful. Others love them.
I, too, have one and I saw no difference either. I put a dab of WD40 on a soft cloth and rub my sewing machine bed with it...........works great and no residue, and of course it contains no water.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:24 PM

You might find it helpful to go to LeahDay.com and look at her info on setting up your machine for free motion. She has lots of free information on her website and also lots of youtube videos. There are many videos of quilting motifs, but just keep looking and you'll find the basics of setting up your machine. She is very clear and easy to understand. She does recommend using the slider and I do use it. She even shows how to modify your darning foot for free motion, if you need to.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:21 PM

I have a slider BUT I don't use it often. The first time I used it I sewed it to the back of my quilt - was NOT happy. So now I always tape it down before starting. Most of the time I use a heavy duty vinyl shower curtain cut to fit my machine and table top it's taped down and I use a very light dusting of baby powder (so light it doesn't get on the quilt) it seems to work the same as my slider, but it's bigger and makes the heavy quilt move much easier.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 AM

I went to Dollar Tree and got some of the plastic cutting sheets. There are two to a pack. I cut a hole where my pressure foot landed, and painter's tape to the edges. It worked great for thread painting and was only $1 instead of $37 at the quilt fest.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:08 AM

bjchad.....I was about to suggest the same thing. Sounds as if it's a wrong foot attachment problem to me.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:59 AM

I think a supreme slider does make a positive difference! However, mine slipped and I sewed through it. It was a mess getting it off the back of my quilt. I really didn't want to pay a high price for another, so I ordered a Teflon oven liner from Amazon, following a suggestion from someone here. It was inexpensive, larger than the supreme slider and did the same job. Only difference is you have to use painter's tape to make it stay down on your table and cut a hole for the needle. But after sewing through my expensive slider, I would tape it down also...
Old 07-12-2016, 04:04 AM

I must be doing something wrong. I tried mine on three machines and it causes nothing to move. The fabric just sits there. For me, I guess, it was a waste of money.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:04 AM

I think it has a lot to do with the sewing machine bed surface. I have an acrylic insert for my Horn cabinet, and the supreme slider works very well on that surface. I would suspect that what the thing is supposed to be clinging to might determine how well it works in any given situation. I notice a substantial difference with the slider and use it whenever I do free motion.