Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Supreme Slider question >

Supreme Slider question

Supreme Slider question

Old 07-12-2016, 04:30 AM

I bought an oven liner at Christmas Tree Shop for 5.99 and with an exacto knife cut out the square where the square metal plate is. I unscrew to oil each time I change the bobbin. I tape the edges with duct tape. Works for me
Old 07-12-2016, 04:58 AM

I love my Supreme Slider. I have the larger one and don't FMQ without it. To me it has been worth every penny i paid for it. Also love my Machingers gloves. I find that not only does the quilt move easier but my shoulders don't get as tired.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:16 PM

I have one and I don't like it. I followed instructions and the darn thing moved and the tore a whole in it and almost ruined a needle. I threw it away.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
I see on Craftsy where they recommend a "Supreme Slider" for free motion quilting. I went to "Nancy's Notions" to see what it is and the cost is about $33.00. Does anyone here use it? Tell me about it please! Is it really worth the money? Is there a way to substitute something cheaper.

When I lower my feed dogs my quilt smashes and will barely move.(even with no pressure on the foot.) I leave them up and of course lower the pressure one the foot as far as my machine lets me. This is pretty satisfactory for free motion quilting, but I would rather use the slider. (maybe.)
I wonder if your feed dog mechanism needs adjusting. I just took my machine in for her yearly physical and they adjusted her feed dogs. Golly sakes! I don't know what they did but she's running like butter now!
Old 07-13-2016, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
***CORRECTION***
Oops! So glad for the other members of this board. I completely blanked out last night. Do NOT use the reverse pattern foot for FMQ. You want to use a Darning Foot (otherwise called a FMQ foot). It will barely move if you use a reverse pattern foot on it. My apologies.
I'm trying to learn to FMQ, too. Haven't bought the slider yet. I did buy a silicon spray that is supposed to help but I haven't used it yet.

But I did buy an open toe FMQ foot. The one that came with the machine is acrylic and has a closed toe with lines and while it works great, it's difficult to see what I'm doing through the closed toe which, though clear, reflects the light. I could not bring myself to break it, as Leah Day suggests. So I bought another one on Amazon. The open toe foot is metal, has a large opening, and I like it much better because I can see the quilt under the needle. Cheap, too, about $7, I think, and fits my Brother 450Q just like the one that came with it.