Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Survey, Block Magazine >

Survey, Block Magazine

Survey, Block Magazine

Old 10-02-2015, 02:59 PM

I love everything about BLOCK. I have cancelled all other quilting magazine subscriptions. It is well written, the instructions are simple and easy to follow and I love the pictures. Yes, there are printing errors in some of the patterns but lets be fair and realistic about this situation as one can find errors in just about every book or magazine publication on the market.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:13 PM

I enjoy the Block Mag. I have had subscriptions to others & have let them all go. Many times there just wasn't anything in them that caught my eye. I have found at least 1 project in each Block mag., sometimes more. When I went back through them looking for a specific pattern I found a few others that I didn't 'notice' the 1st time thru. Every pattern site I've seen advises to check for corrections. Even the books I get from the library to read have errors in.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:15 PM

Block magazine is the best! Not only do you get at least 10 patterns per issue and no advertising or any of those annoying subscription cards falling out when you open the magazine, but Jenny does a video for each pattern. I love MSQC, Jenny and Block magazine!
Old 10-03-2015, 02:55 AM

I love this magazine! Only quilting magazine I subscribe to.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:26 AM

I love Block. It's well done and I always find at least 1 pattern I intend to do. Later when I see friends at bee making patterns ( the ones I think I don't like) I like those patterns too - all because of the fabrics they chosen.
I love to look at my issues over & over- dreaming. Lol
Old 10-03-2015, 03:48 AM

I had cancelled my Block subscription for lack of finding a pattern in the last two issues that they had. Then I saw a couple of tutorials that I'd make and knew that those patterns were in their recent issue. I had to hunt this issue down at a local quilt shop. So I'm resubscribing. I figure if I only find one thing in Block I'd make, it's worth it. Single patterns now in quilt shops are $6.00 and up.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 AM

You can buy single digital issues on the site. Like with all magazines, unless I can see an index of what's inside, I'm not buying. I prefer only patterns that interest me or a technique that I can use. Looking at someone else's quilts for inspiration doesn't do anything. I have certain colors I like, so I tend to ignore whatever the quilter used and substitute mine anyway in my mind's eye. If I can't see the quilt my way, I'm not interested. I find I'm tending to the more old-fashioned blocks.

I've bought magazines on the strength of a promised article on the cover, said article is not what I wanted, and I've tossed the magazine.

Kudos to those who do design and the people they design for and who create the quilts. It just isn't my way.

I rarely look at quilts at a show. The mdse is more interesting, especially what isn't carried locally. I have no objection to buying something I do want. I'm not looking for freebies.

BTW - I garment sew, and I've never used a pattern straight. A lot copy the colors. Same with embroidery.
I have pattern drafting software, and can generate a change if I need to. It's why I sew. I don't have to put up with the current batch of designs if I don't like them.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 AM

I love the block magazine. It also gives good tips.