Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sweat shirt quilt?

Blog Entries

Sweat shirt quilt?

I see a lot of T-shirt quilts, but has anyone made a quilt using decorative sweatshirts? What would you use for a backing and also for batting if needed?

Can the backs of the sweatshirt be used to piece the backing? I wouldn't think that it would need batting unless it was to soften some of the seams. If you didn't use the backs why not use sweatshirt material?
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

My first quilt was a sweatshirt quilt. I used all parts of the shirt, cut it into squares and scattered the decorarative pieces. Mine was made from my Aunt's stash of sweatshirts therefore much love. The only advice I would give is to hand tie the quilt as this material is very stretchy and might not topsew well. I used a soft cotton backing and regular batting.

If you cut thru both layers of the sweatshirt at once, you will have your design for the front and a matcing piece for the back

Could a sweatshirt quilt be made as a rag quilt? By cutting the front and back at the same time you would have your backing and eliminate using other fabric. Hope this makes senses.
    Pat

Interesting question Cybermom. Going to do an Internet search and see if anyone has made one. Be back soon.
    Sweet Caroline

I have so many sweatshirts that I don't wear anymore...hadn't thought about making a quilt with them....until reading this post. Most of the sweatshirts are pullovers....and with the hotflashes I have now, I only wear cardigans. Will keep reading this thread to get ideas...thanks to all who post!

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Interesting question Cybermom. Going to do an Internet search and see if anyone has made one. Be back soon.
    Lots of places on the Internet regarding T-shirt and Sweatshirt quilts. The sweatshirt material is treated just like the t-shirt material. It is heavier though so I would assume that a very light batting or flannel would be used in the sandwich. If I were going to do one I would use a fine Pellon stabilizer or a as suggested at one site, a Tricot stabilizer. Some of the sweatshirt quilts were tied but I assume they could also be machine tacked. Certainly it would be fun to make one. One more for the Bucket List.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    I mixed sweatshirts into my daughter's t-shirt quilt and did use poly batting. I did hand tie. It worked out great.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Never thought about that, guess it wouldn't hurt to try on a couple of t-shirts to see how it works
    Mary