Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Swithching Irons Can Be Dangerous >

Swithching Irons Can Be Dangerous

Swithching Irons Can Be Dangerous

Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

My new iron bit the dust after only 2 years :evil:
I would grumble over it's auto shut off feature every time I would have to unplug and replug it into the wall...
So I get out my old iron...and I left it plugged in and on :shock: over night forgetting that it did not have this feature...and left it plugged in and on for most of yesterday, too!!
I just wanted to remind all of you to be aware of this... we tend to get "conditioned" to the new bells and whistles and that can make our "back ups" very dangerous appliances to bring back out in emergencies...
I am off to buy another iron, one that I can cuss out when the auto shut off feature kicks in :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 AM

LOL!!! my new iron has a auto shut-off too, drives me nuts, but now I have gotten used to not shutting the iron off all the way. In fact mine does not have a on/off switch. I just try to remember to dial it all the way down but I hate having to unplug it, so I don't.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:15 AM

hehehee I don't have an iron with all the bells and whistles but I remember I left mine on in the kitchen and left the house for the day. OH BOY Luckly the cat and dog didn't get into mischief, so now I unplug not matter what.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I was always so good about unplugging mine too, until I bought the new one...

I just came home with yet another iron to argue with LMBO but atleast I won't be getting on the plane for a 2 week vacation, wondering, Did I leave the that *%#^ iron plugged in/on????

Although, I do turn off all of my breakers, except for the fridge, when I leave for extended time frames... and then I have to go through the house looking for flashing lights on all the the electronics :shock: and remember that it takes a couple of hours to get hot water :roll:
Old 09-10-2009, 02:37 PM

My iron has the auto-shut-off too, but all I have to do is push a little button on the top of the handle & that reheats it again. I used to also unplug it whenever I was done with it, but right now there's too much, um, STUFF, in the way to easily get to the plug! :roll:
Old 09-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

I have never been good at unplugging one, so i have to have one with automatic shut off!!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 PM

When DH refinished my sewing room, he put a receptacle with a switch about halfway up the wall where I plug in my iron. When I want to turn my iron on or off, all I have to do is flip the switch.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by amma
My new iron bit the dust after only 2 years :evil:
I would grumble over it's auto shut off feature every time I would have to unplug and replug it into the wall...
So I get out my old iron...and I left it plugged in and on :shock: over night forgetting that it did not have this feature...and left it plugged in and on for most of yesterday, too!!
I just wanted to remind all of you to be aware of this... we tend to get "conditioned" to the new bells and whistles and that can make our "back ups" very dangerous appliances to bring back out in emergencies...
I am off to buy another iron, one that I can cuss out when the auto shut off feature kicks in :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:
I've discovered that all I have to do to 'turn' my auto off iron back on is to MOVE it. It just takes about 30 seconds to reheat. Don't have to uplug/replug.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
I have an iron WITH an auto-off feature and the other day it apparently didn't - shut off, I mean. DH came in to my sewing room to iron his shirt and he yelled for me to come check out the "hot smell" in my room. The iron was smokin' hot a day after I had used it.

I thought about a mnemonic device: Hang a sign from a string in the doorway that reads: Turn iron off! or something like that.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

I'm paranoid - my iron supposedly shuts itself off - but I still unplug it when I leave the room - I'm worried about the cat climbing on the ironing board and knocking it off - I also put the iron on the floor when I leave.