Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: swoon block question

swoon block question

Before I purchase this pattern, can anyone tell me if it is easy to alter the size of the blocks? I believe the pattern makes a 24"....I would like to make them as 10" blocks and just make a lapsize quilt. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    The Swoon block is very, very similar to a Carpenter's Wheel block. They both basically use an 8x8 grid for a base. If you want your block to finish at 10", this would mean your patches to make up the block would have to be cut at 1.5 inches. If this is fine by you, I say go for it!

Blog Entries
    The Swoon block is exactly the same as the Carpenter's square except the middle of the star is one block instead of 4 half square triangles. Danmar has a tutorial on this--look her up.
    Bernie

I googled swoon quilt block and it came up with several different designs which style are you looking at? There are so many sites to get free patterns some even came up on search with out putting in the word free i would look around before i bought any patterns nowthere are hundreds of free quilt pattern sites you can about any thing you want free

Blog Entries
    I have made both the Carpenter's Wheel and the Swoon Block. I was so proud that I figured out the measurements myself. Personally I think the Carpenter's Wheel is easier as it is just half square triangles and the Swoon has 4 flying geese. I too think you can make it without purchasing a pattern.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Thanks everyone! I have printed off some directions for the Carpenter's Square.....and I found some directions for making the block 12" instead of 24"! Now to play with fabric combos! :-)