Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sylvia's Bridal Quilt >

Sylvia's Bridal Quilt

Sylvia's Bridal Quilt

Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 PM

I'm wondering if there is anyone working on a Sylvia's Bridal Quilt. I'm in love with the book, but the amount of blocks seem overwhelming. I'm also intrigued with the Dear Jane quilt, but purchasing the book and templates is out of my budget range. Any ideas for a quilter on a budget?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Administrator

search the internet for used copies of the book. take it apart very carefully. photocopy the block diagrams. cut the copies apart to make your own templates.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltergirl80
I'm wondering if there is anyone working on a Sylvia's Bridal Quilt. I'm in love with the book, but the amount of blocks seem overwhelming. I'm also intrigued with the Dear Jane quilt, but purchasing the book and templates is out of my budget range. Any ideas for a quilter on a budget?
Hi, I have the book and I am intrigued to maybe do one of these quilts. I love the series. I also live in Washington. If you want to PM me and let me know where you live in Washington maybe this is something we could do together - open to any suggestions or ideas.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Hi, I have the book and I am intrigued to maybe do one of these quilts. I love the series. I also live in Washington. If you want to PM me and let me know where you live in Washington maybe this is something we could do together - open to any suggestions or ideas.
I live in the San Juan Islands
Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 AM

I have about a dozen blocks finished so far, but this quilt is definitely a long-term project!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 AM
Banned

I am working on the Sylvia's quilt as well. It's slow going. I pick a couple of blocks a month to work on. I enjoy this quilt because it uses such small pieces of fabric. I bought all the yardage for the background the same, but as for all the other piecing I just use scraps or pick up fat quarters. One thing that has helped is to take the book and have a spiral binding put on it. Makes it much easier to reference.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:05 AM

I am working on Sylvia's and Dear Jane. The blocks in Sylvia's are easier and the book gives lots of instructions, templates,and paper piecing patterns. Many of the blocks go together quickly. My guild is using Sylvia's for their block of the month. We do 4 blocks each month,but it wouldn't be hard to do more than that. I really like it so far!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:06 AM

I saw the other day that fabric depot has the jane book with templates on sale for $25 right now.
Carol B
Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by red roses
I am working on Sylvia's and Dear Jane. The blocks in Sylvia's are easier and the book gives lots of instructions, templates,and paper piecing patterns. Many of the blocks go together quickly. My guild is using Sylvia's for their block of the month. We do 4 blocks each month,but it wouldn't be hard to do more than that. I really like it so far!
Ohhh I like that idea! - getting my table or a number of other ladies to work on this together. Who ever wants can participate and several of us (2-3) can pick a block to make by the next meeting - 2 weeks later.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM

When on a budget set aside and start saving for a book. I recommend with Dear Jane to buy the CD and forget the book. You can then print out any of the blocks either with rotary cutting instructions, templates, or foundations. Also the blocks may be printed in any size you like. You get a lot of value for your money that way then save again for the templates that is a 5" square up ruler and the triangle for the outside border. The square up ruler is really great! Specially designed for the Dear Jane Blocks makes it very easy to square them up. When working on Dear Jane I have been using muslin for my background and then blues for my blocks, remember the blocks are small so an 8" square of fabric is more than enough to sew a block. I was asked to do tutorials on hand piecing these but do not have the computer skills and equipment to do so, how ever if you have specific questions feel free to PM me regarding them and I will be happy to respond.