Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T Shirt Quilt Company >

T Shirt Quilt Company

T Shirt Quilt Company

Old 04-12-2015, 09:34 PM

Default T Shirt Quilt Company

I ran across a company called Project Repat and was wondering what other quilters think about the way this company makes its quilts. Having made quite a few memory quilts of my own, I'm a bit disheartened that this company is saying traditionally made t-shirt quilts aren't cuddly. What about longevity? Will these fleece back ones last as long as those with interfacing, batting, and cotton backing?
Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 AM

Not sure if this comment is relavant but I made my first t-shirt quilt in '98c-- a bit primative. The shirts were not interfaced. That quilt has been in use ever since, washed and dried often, and is still going strong. It was hand quilted in the ditch of the sashings and tied within the blocks. The batting is poly traditional needle punched.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

http://www.projectrepat.com/
I don't see that they tell you how the quilt is quilted. the pics at the bottom left don't seem to be quilted at all.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Well, in my opinion they are not cuddly but quite a heavy quilt with the weight of the t-shirts and lightweight interfacing. I am not sure what the durability of fleece is. Only time will tell.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:44 PM

I made a Queen T- shirt quilt. for a young friend. Yes, it is heavy, but she uses it to cuddle with her baby.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 PM

Definitely all very helpful comments...I was curious to know if anyone had made a t-shirt quilt without interfacing and how it held up over time. I wonder how Project Repat's products will look 20 years from now given that they don't seem to be tied or quilted. I agree that only time will tell. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by librarylois; 04-13-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:52 AM

I've made at least a dozen t-shirt quilts - with lightweight interfacing AND flannel backing - and they're not heavy! I use mine every day, and it's not like I've got to drag it around like a lead weight. The more I wash it, the more cuddly it gets. In fact, I just got mine out and weighed it. It's a lap-sized quilt, and weighs 3.72 lbs. That's NOT heavy. It's perfect!

Last edited by cindi; 04-14-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM

The t-shirt quilts I've made have all been quilted, either by tying or machine quilting. Several were done using flannel, which is nice and cozy. Others were from fabrics from my LQS. I do have a couple of t-shirt quilts to finish, and one more in the planning stages. I don't know that I would use this company to make a quilt for me...I'd rather use my own creativity.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:40 PM

In the long run you get what you pay for. A well made t-shirt quilt will last a long long time. I had one made for my daughter for her graduation about 15 years ago and it has been washed, and washed, and washed. She loves it.

She takes it to soccer and football games. People see it and ask if she could make one. Since she is a chip of the old block, she is a good seamstress. She has now made about 8 for friends and quilts them on a my Handi-Quilter. In fact she finished one last week .
Old 04-20-2015, 03:03 PM

I've got one to make for my sister!! I am dreading it. They are heavy and bulky. But, that is what she wants. Happy Birthday Sister.