Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: T-Shirt Quilt Question

Blog Entries
    As I stated yesterday, I started my t-shirt quilt , am getting the blocks ready. I woke up this morning with the question, " How am I going to quilt this one ". You that have done them before, do you quilt or do you tie, my blocks are large, so I don't know what to do..

I've quilted different T-shirt quilts in different ways. When the blocks are large, I quilt them each individually and echo quilt the shapes or letters/numbers in the block. I always do some stitch in the ditch first though to help hold each block in it's place. This was done on my regular sewing machine. No Long Arm.

I did an all-over meander............but I just have my DSM.

I do all over quilting like meandering or wandering loops on T-shirt quilts. It holds everything in place and wards off puckers as the stablizer gets worn. T-shirt quilts are often used and washed more than other quilts and I like that closer quilting helps keep them strong, especially since you typically have mixed the knit T-shirts with cotton sashings, borders and backings.

Blog Entries
    I have done 3 now and I do them just like a regular quilt. When top is done, sandwich all the layers and then pin. I hand quilted mine with echo stitching around pics and words (as Maine ladybug mentioned) Did a plain running stitch around blocks depending on what design you used. I had one sent out and done by LA and it turned out nice too. You don't need to quilt really close together. Mostly just to hold everything in place.

I've only made 2 tee shirt quilts and tied both of them.