Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? T-Shirt quilt quilting >

? T-Shirt quilt quilting

? T-Shirt quilt quilting

Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Smile ? T-Shirt quilt quilting

Ya"ll have such great advice. Can I quilts over the "rubbery" logos ? I am making a t-shirt quilt for a young friend. She wants queen size and I don't think I can do it on my machine. My long arm quilter just uses computerized patterns. So----- can I quilt over the logos? Thanks for your help --- Janice
Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 AM

I've heard that no, you should not quilt over the logos on the t-shirt but try to quilt around them instead. Maybe you can echo around the design and that will get close enough for your batting?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 AM

You can, but results will vary, as you will soon see from the replies you'll get here. I personally avoid the rubberized logos - I had tension problems and it left holes in the rubber area. I will quilt any area around the logo or in an un-rubberized area within the logo, but not the logo itself. Others swear it works fine though. Plus, I think when you leave the logo unquilted it puffs out very nicely. I suggest if you've got an extra shirt, try it on that, first. Machines vary, results vary.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM

I have done it on my home machine but it is not ideal. The rubbery logos tend to grab the needle and thread. I tend to outline the logo (or stitch through when it is a narrow design area). If there are words and the letters are large, I will outline quilt around each letter. If the words are small I will just outline quilt around the entire word or line of words. here is a link to one I made. (post number 12)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post6496970
Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I agree with what all has been sent. I always quilted around the rubber logos. It might bend your needle due to the thickness and will affect your tension. Jut not worth the risk.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

maybe you could check around for a long-arm quilter who will do some echo quilting- or free motion meandering on your quilt instead. I've quilted lots of t-shirt quilts for customers and a couple times found it necessary to quilt on a logo (generally when it was too large to not have some quilting in it- I've not had a lot of problems with it- but it does depend on how *stiff-thick* the logo is- if the t-shirt has been worn, used, laundered lots it is not really a problem- if it's new, stiff/thick & rubbery it leaves holed and is pretty hard on your needle. (but it can be done)
Old 05-01-2014, 04:24 PM

I prefer not to quilt the tee shirt logos. I just echo qilt around them or do a stipple aroung them. I think they are too stiff to quilt thru and it can break a needle or cause tension problems.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Has anyone tried using a teflon foot for stitching over the "rubbery" logos? I haven't succeeded stitching over those with the regular foot, so I machine stitched the seams of the sashings and hand stitched around the logos. I have since purchased a teflon foot but haven't tried it out yet.

I did have a tee shirt quilt done by a longarmer and she did an overall design. It was very well done.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:27 PM

I hand quilt and I do not stitch through any logos. I use an alternative method of stitching around the design or around the block. I also put a stripping material between my blocks and quilt a quarter of an inch from the seam on these blocks to support my seams.