Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T Shirt Quilt...What Would You Charge? >

T Shirt Quilt...What Would You Charge?

T Shirt Quilt...What Would You Charge?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:14 PM

It all depends on size really. I finished one for christmas and I charged her $ 425. It was full size. Picture below. I used decorative stitching.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-171001.jpe  
Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by susie0808
It all depends on size really. I finished one for christmas and I charged her $ 425. It was full size. Picture below. I used decorative stitching.
That is absolutely fantastic! $425? That woman should have paid way more than that for what you did, you do beautiful work.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
I have been asked to take some T Shirts of my DH'd friend and make a quilt from them. First would you tie the quilt or machine quilt it (stitch in the ditch?) and what would you charge to make it? I don't know yet what size/how many shirts she wants so any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
Hi, I just posted pics of the memorial tee shirt quilt I just completed for a friend. Here is the link http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-108249-1.htm

The one I did was QAYG. I did FMQ on each square, with a different quilting design, after outlining the designs on the shirts. It took me 5 months to do, working almost every evening for a few hours (I work full time). I was very careful with each and every step, since these shirts were entrusted to me by my dear friend, in memory of her son, and thus were irreplaceable.

I made 15" finished squares, and 36 of them made a 90x 90" quilt. If you need more information, please feel free to PM me.

When I try to calculate the time spent and the batting and new fabric for the backing and sashing, I don't think anyone would want to pay what I would have to charge for a quilt like this!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee
Originally Posted by susie0808
That is absolutely fantastic! $425? That woman should have paid way more than that for what you did, you do beautiful work.
Thank you. I have made a few of these. What I also had to do was send out to have the initials done. Which cost me 25 dollars. I ate the cost of this one. As everyone here on this board knows....when someone asks for prices of your work usually they won't come back. No matter how much we charge it's still to much! This particular quilt my DH's co worker said she had 3 other friends that wanted the same type of quilt....So I gave her a little break. Well you can guess.....I never heard from them! A little disappointed. But I have learned.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
I have been asked to take some T Shirts of my DH'd friend and make a quilt from them. First would you tie the quilt or machine quilt it (stitch in the ditch?) and what would you charge to make it? I don't know yet what size/how many shirts she wants so any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
Hi, I just finished my second t-shirt quilt, I didn't charge anything as it was a gift for graduation. But I was told by my long arm quilter that it is not unusual to charge $20 to $30 dollars a block... that should take into consideration everything including your time or at least part of your time. Also I was going to do the stitch in the ditch but again was told to do some time of quilting within the block, because sometimes the t-shirt will separate from the stabilizer. So when I quilted it I just did some type of meandering all over. The young gal loved it and took it to graduation practice and now everyone wants one... I did tell her I would consider doing one for her teacher.... for a price. I am putting in a picture I hope it comes through. I hope this info helped you.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM

I just checked out the pictures of your quilt and it is beautiful. I really like the different quilting designs on each block. Whoever get that quilt should be extremely happy with it.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by susie0808 View Post
Your quilt is awesome. I need to consider putting a border on the ones that I do.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
Hi, I just posted pics of the memorial tee shirt quilt I just completed for a friend. Here is the link http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-108249-1.htm

The one I did was QAYG. I did FMQ on each square, with a different quilting design, after outlining the designs on the shirts. It took me 5 months to do, working almost every evening for a few hours (I work full time). I was very careful with each and every step, since these shirts were entrusted to me by my dear friend, in memory of her son, and thus were irreplaceable.

I made 15" finished squares, and 36 of them made a 90x 90" quilt. If you need more information, please feel free to PM me.

When I try to calculate the time spent and the batting and new fabric for the backing and sashing, I don't think anyone would want to pay what I would have to charge for a quilt like this!
I really like the way you did the different quilting in each block... very nice job.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM

It never ceases to amaze me that someone would ask you to make a quilt, and think that your labor is not even worth $1/hour! I've made/sold several t-shirt quilts and I don't apologize for my prices. I will include up to about 25 shirts in a quilt for $320 total. I always make a coordinating pillow case to either use with or store their quilt in as well. When I total up my cost in a quilt, I assume full retail prices. I see not reason to pass my frugal shopping skills on to the customer.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 PM
yel

nice job on all the pics......i usually tell everyone 20$ an hour ...that way if someone wants something really difficult ..cost covered