Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
t-shirt quilts >

t-shirt quilts

t-shirt quilts

Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 PM

I am so excited! Someone just called me on the phone asking if I would make a t-shirt quilt for her daughter for graduation. I am very interested in doing this, but I've never made a t-shirt quilt before. Does anyone have any advise, good sites, books, anything that will help me

Thanks

Janie
Old 11-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Here is the 1 I just did and have orders for 2 more of this style.. I can share the pattern if you are interested in this one.

There are several different ways to do a t-shirt quilt. Google it and see what catches yor eye.

You are definately in the right place for ideas though!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-47290.jpe  
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 PM

While in high school, my son was on the cross-country and track/field teams. They were constantly getting t-shirts from different meets in competition. I cut out the logo or race name from the t-shirt, shaped it to a block size, added shashing, batting, and backing. I guess the theme could vary to fit any sport(s) or clubs the student participates in. My son was also big into music and competed in different symposiums. There was a new t-shirt for each event. Unlike the running/sports t-shirts, the music ones were always so very colorful. Although not as many shirts to cut for blocks, improvisation came into play and blocks of coordinating colors from the fabric shop supplemented to balance the look. Good luck with your project! :) :) :)
Old 11-04-2008, 05:39 AM

What a great idea!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 AM

Something important to remember is to add interfacing or some form of stabilizer to the Tshirt pieces because they are so stretchy. JMO.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Dawn Hendrix, I am loving your work! I always liked the idea of Tshirt quilts but thought it would look a little wonky with all different sizes of logos and colors put in the same size block....Yours has an interesting background and some fantastic backgrounds on each of the logos----great work!!!

If anyone is interested in square blocks for their shirts, Fons and Porter had it in an issue and also did a show on it.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 AM

Thank you all so much for your input. I have made a small sample top and am now trying to decide how to hand quilt it.

Janie
Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 AM

I am working on my fourth tshirt quilt right now. Be careful of the type fusible interfacing that you use. What I have right now seems very stiff. I've not used this type before. The picture is one using shirts of my 23 yr. old son. As you can see, some of them were from when he was very small. I used strips of tshirt backs for the sashing. DON'T DO IT!!!!! Fabric works so much better. This one was really stretchy. Make sure that you wash your shirts with no fabric softener. The interfacing will adhere much better without it. Will be glad to answer more questions. Wish I could show you the other shirts.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-35691.jpe  
Old 11-09-2008, 06:52 AM

Here's the other picture!!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-35692.jpe  
Old 04-15-2010, 03:17 AM

I like to use Pellon 906F to back my t shirts. I cut the shirts down about 2" wider than needed (I use a plexiglass 15" template) then adhere the Pellon and then do a final trim using the template. I also use a 2 1/2" sashing around each shirt.