Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: t-shirt quilts without the stabilizer... can it be done?

what's the name of the quilt stablizer. I'm on my way to Joanns.

I have made 2 without the stabilizer. I sashed each block before putting them together. by not stitching knit to knit it was more stable. I also machine quilted them. One had a flannel backiing , the other a cotton. also used a lightweight batting.

Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    I would think they would still stretch too much. I was thinking -- I'm sure I'll seem like a nut -- that you could use the spray basting on muslin. Of course, I know absolutely nothing about spray basting so I could be absolutely off my rocker here. :roll: I know it's used on batting, but can it also be used on fabric (i.e. muslin)? :?
    I was thinking the same thing, wouldn't hurt to try the spray basting on a sample to see if it would work or how about a wash away stabilizer like we use for machine embroidery?

You want that stabilizer to stay in the quilt. Those knit t-shirts will stretch between your quilting lines and you'll end up with stretched out spots. What you're trying to do with the stabilizer is make stretchy fabric behave as if it were like the cotton fabric we use in our regular quilts.

I just buy the cheapest, light weight WHATEVER fusable interfacing at JoAnn's when I have a coupon. We're talking about $.50 per yard. I bought a bolt the last time I did this because I also use the same stuff to fuse together pieces of batting for charity quilts. For less than $10 you will end up with a pretty big t-shirt quilt with enough scraps to piece your batting scraps.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9