Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: table runners...question

table runners...question

Hi.

A few weeks ago I asked for ideas for table runner patterns.
    I was pleased with the replies.

I now have a few runner tops made. My question is should I use batting? If yes, then what type?
    It would seem that batting would make the runner a bit 'bumpy' and I don't think I'd want that. But I'd like some body to them.
    What do you do?

I use regular batting. When you quilt them even SID they will lay flat. It doesn't add bulk to the runner.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

Blog Entries
    I have not used batting on some table runners and used a very thin batting on others. You might try making one of each and see what you like best....be sure to show us your results

I use a thin batting in the table runners I make. You could also use a layer of flannel if you want. I like having something for filling.

I always use batting in my table runners. I use Warm and Natural and when quilted, it lays nice and flat. I wouldn't use poly batting though.

I use warm and natural batting in my table runners. I don't have any troubles with it laying flat. Looking forward to pictures!

Blog Entries
    I use fusible med to heavy wt. interfacing to back the top and then a layer of batting. This gives the topper a more polished professional look.
    Got fabric?

I used regular batting on mine and what I did when I washed them was iron them wet out of the washer instead of drying them....thy are perfect!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper View Post
    Hi.

A few weeks ago I asked for ideas for table runner patterns.
    I was pleased with the replies.

I now have a few runner tops made. My question is should I use batting? If yes, then what type?
    It would seem that batting would make the runner a bit 'bumpy' and I don't think I'd want that. But I'd like some body to them.
    What do you do?

I use Warm and Natural in my runners... but pre - shrink it ! I like the crinkle look for quilts.. not on table runners. Table runners I want flat!

I think it depends on what you intend to do with the finished product.

Do you plan on putting a small based vase of flowers on it - the small base combined with the flowers on the top would make it less stable so I would opt for no batting.

Do you plan on putting a large based bowl of fruit on it? If this is the case I would opt for batting because it will protect your table top from getting dented from the edge of the bowl when placing it down on the table.

If you want both protection and flatness ... you can use batting and just quilt it heavier.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast