Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table Top or Long Arm Quilting Machines. >

Table Top or Long Arm Quilting Machines.

Table Top or Long Arm Quilting Machines.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am in looking around for a quilting machine. Of course I have looked at so many videos online that talk about different machines, but something for me is missing. I would love to hear from many of you about your experience with your machine. Do you thnk for a beginner it would be better to get a table top or go ahead and get the long arm.

I just need some feedback on how your machines are working. I guess I am looking for some with a stitch regulator on the machine and one that glides real easy if it is a long arm.

Hope I hear from many of you!

Quiltbaby
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

If you're a beginner, I wouldn't invest in a longarm yet. It's a huge monetary (and space) investment and, from what I've read on the homequiltingsystems group at http://groups.yahoo.com, it's a good idea to spend a whole year researching longarms before deciding on the one for you.

When you talk about a tabletop, do you mean the George?

Most of us quilt on our regular domestic sewing machines. It's best for most people to start there.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Pam

I agree, I encourage people to get used machines from yard sales, they are better than the new "affordable" machines.

I have a short arm machine, and the large frame. My frame is 12 feet long and 3 feet away from the wall! Not counting the width of the frame itself. I do most of my sewing on an older Bernina model, and a 45 year old Singer. I only use the short arm for the quilting.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

I bought a extra cheap Brother a couple of years ago, because it came with a quilting foot. And I practiced free arm quilting on it. I am proficient, sort of, but it was always kind of a hassle for me, I have seen some of the things people on this board do and I am blown away.

That for me was the first step to see if I was going to want to quilt my quilts myself. And I was hooked, even if not great at it. I just got a Juki mid-arm (98Q) and a GMQ frame with the stitch regulator. People kept telling me I wouldn't want or need the regulator, but I like it. And I am so much better on the frame.

I would start small, because the big frames and machines are only more and more expensive. I think some people find that they really like piecing, but are happy to leave the quilting to someone else. Make sure what you want before you lay out the money.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM

I started with a frame (stand alone vs table top), and put on my 1500 Brother. One quilt (granted it was a baby quilt) was all it took for me to decide that was not going to work for. 9" harp = 6 inchs of quilting space. I spent more time rolling and clamping than I did quilting. I had about 9 quilts and 9 months for a exhibit so I invested in the HQ 16. LOVE it
Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM

I want to thank all of you for your wisdom because it has helped me. I have a Bernia 155 which is old and I am going to buy the quilting foot and the walking foot for that machine.

I have made three quilts and they were okay. Right now I am trying to decide if this is what I really want to do. I will follow the instructions and try to learn to quilt on the small machine and then look for a good long arm if that is what I am lead to do.

By the way, what is the HQ 16?
Quiltbaby
Old 04-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by Quiltbaby
I want to thank all of you for your wisdom because it has helped me. I have a Bernia 155 which is old and I am going to buy the quilting foot and the walking foot for that machine.

I have made three quilts and they were okay. Right now I am trying to decide if this is what I really want to do. I will follow the instructions and try to learn to quilt on the small machine and then look for a good long arm if that is what I am lead to do.

Quiltbaby
We are NOT trying to discourage you, but the really, really nice long arms cost upwards of $20,000. I do what I think is pretty nice quilting on my domestic machine on smaller quilts.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltbaby
Quiltbaby
The HQ =HandiQuilter is a midarm 16 to 18 inches (Avente), WAY under $20,000- used HQ 16 now selling for $5,000 - $6,000. Excellent machine and customer service. They also have the Fusion, computerizered or not, I chose not, cost being only one factor.
Another option to the DM machine or the expensive long arms.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:46 PM

I looked at the HQ with the stitch regulator and wow, that is about $20,000 together not including the table.

I love the features. Right now the cost is a concern. I guess I have to go to a shop and see these machines in action.

Do you know who sells the used machines?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

You might want to take a look at the Bailey mid-arm. I own a 15", and found it to be quite reasonably priced (I got mine used, which made it even more affordable). It's basically a stretched machine, so it works pretty much like a normal sewing machine, but it has the throat space to allow you to get much more range on your quilting frame.