Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tables >

Tables

Tables

Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 AM

As a new quilter, did you have a special table for your machine?

I am just starting out and am beginning to realize there is no way I can sew comfortably with my machine on my computer table because there isn't enough room. The office is small and I share it with my fiance and his computer. We both have 2 monitors so table space is at a premium.

I'm thinking about moving my machine and other quilting stuff upstairs to the guest room. I'm stuck about what kind of table to put it on. I don't want to spend a lot of money. I could get a folding table off craigslist or at Costco, or if it's worth it, spend more and get a special sewing table.

What kind of table do you use? How much did it cost? Where did you buy it?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM

I got a large folding table and it works fine for me. I got it from Target or Walmart for about $50.00.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Angie
I got a large folding table and it works fine for me. I got it from Target or Walmart for about $50.00.
Ditto. I bought two from BJs (about $50) and have them long side to long side (I have a sewing room). When I'm quilting all the layers together, it's great -- lot's of room. But, I find the one I use for cutting is a bit too short (I'm 5'11") and I'm thinking of using risers to make it higher.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM

BJ's has height adjustable melamine tables that would work great as sewing tables. I have one that is 2'X4' and have it on the highest height for a cutting table, but would put it at the lowest height to put the machine on. It's small enough that it's easy to carry and take with you on retreats.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
BJ's has height adjustable melamine tables that would work great as sewing tables. I have one that is 2'X4' and have it on the highest height for a cutting table, but would put it at the lowest height to put the machine on. It's small enough that it's easy to carry and take with you on retreats.
I have two of the 18"x36" (?) tables and love them. One is to my left for when I'm FMQ and the other is kept in the sun room for when I sew during the warmer days. Either way, the small sizes are easy to store when the table is collapsed flat.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 AM

I went to a discount furniture store and bought a slightly damaged desk. I like it because it has drawers for storage.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I have two of the 18"x36" (?) tables and love them. One is to my left for when I'm FMQ and the other is kept in the sun room for when I sew during the warmer days. Either way, the small sizes are easy to store when the table is collapsed flat.
Mine is 18" x 60", but I think would rather have two 18" x 36" instead of one long one.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Mine is from IKEA and it is roughly 2'x 4' It is nice and sturdy and the legs are metal tube, set at an angle which do not get in the way. I like it. Can't remember what it cost.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 AM

We re-purposed office furniture for my sewing room, and it works great! I have 2 computer desks, one of which Hubby cut out, installed a shelf and cut a piece of acrylic all to drop my machine down - I could never go back to it sitting on a table, I am so spoiled by the flat sewing surface! Here is a link to a pic of the machine table in the old house:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-17094-1.htm

When we moved, I moved everything into one room. I change the orientation of the 2nd computer desk depending on what I need to do; right now, they are back to back for quilting instead of in an L shape. Here's a link to the pic of them in their usual state:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19566-1.htm

The best part is that we got the office furniture at an auction - very cost effective ;) The same thing could be done with lots of tables we've seen over at the thrift store!

Hubby also made me a wooden box that I can set up on the computer tables to raise my cutting surface - and I can lift it down out of my way. Who would have thought a simple box could save so much wear on my back?!!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:44 PM

Mine is in a cabinet, so I don't need a table.