Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking down a long arm >

taking down a long arm

taking down a long arm

Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 PM

You could take it down yourself but some times you will need an extra pair of hands. I think the price is steep. Have you got a good neighbour or sewing friend who could act as the additional pair. I put a frame together by myself and at times I wished my arms were 12' long.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 PM
Power Poster

I definitely think you would need another person to help, but that you could do it yourself. Here is a link to a 4-part article by Todd Fletcher on how to take down a longarm for moving. I downloaded the article and it is very good. Lots of pictures, and he takes it step by step. He is using a Gammill for this article, but most longarms are very similar. Here is the link where you can download the PDF:
https://machinequilting.mqumag.com/2...todd-fletcher/
Old 05-03-2016, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

Yes, make it a fun time at your house serving cookies and tea. Maybe a hat party. That is what friends are for. Be sure to take an many pictures as you can before and after something is unbolted.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I would also say you could do it yourself, except, if possible, you should have someone else there to help handle the weight of the machine when you lift it off the frame. It's quite heavy and a bit ungainly. I would take it from the frame directly to the vehicle if possible. I also have an Avante, and saved the box the machine came in, just in case.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:29 AM

DH and I took down my 12' HQ fusion and frame (with prostitcher) to move it to the new building back in January. It's not that bad to take down, but you should have two people as that makes it easier.

I set up the frame myself the first time, and only used DH's help to get the machine set on the frame. The second time we left the table long, only removed it from the legs since we could fit it out the door of the house and into the new building without taking it down farther.

I may pay someone $300 to set it up, but not to take it down. I found setting up the HQ to be easier than setting up the Gracie frame, except the HQ is a lot heavier.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM

I bought my Avante with a 12 foot frame from a long-distance dealer. It arrived on a large wooden pallet and it took me 2 days to put it together by myself. It can be done. Good luck to you.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:04 AM

My husband had no clue when it came to using tools. The toolbox was mine and it left the house when I did. My father taught me well and where I live it is had to find anyone to do anything. I am my best handyman.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 AM

Default Longarm take down

Originally Posted by mardilee View Post
Hi, quilting board members. May I have your opinion. I'm moving soon and am taking my Handiquilter Avante with me to my new home. My dealer (about 2 hours away from my current place) wants $300 to come to my home and take my machine down. He is not transporting it, nor will he set it up in the new place. Is that a fair price? Should I try to take it apart myself? The instruction manual shows how to set it up. I could just follow the directions backwards. What do you think? Sadly, I have no handy husband to help me out. I'm on my own. Thanks for your opinions.
I have taken apart my gammill now five times..it takes some thought ..take pics as you go along..put matching labels where the parts are going to go back together. Not sure about yours but mine has steel bars and they are real heavy. I put a table under the bed of mine ( a six foot portable table) and took the ends off and then the bed rested on this table.if you have steel bars you will need some assistance to move the table..mine had steel bars all the way down the table underneath and so therefore that part was pretty heavy. All else was pretty manageable. Good luck ! I think you can do it..seems expensive for what you are getting..
Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 AM

I have a HQ Avante and eventually it will be removed also. I do have a DH who will help and we plan on labeling everything in plastic bags. Our salesman/dealer certainly will never help us. Go for it, I wouldn't pay them $300.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:11 AM

*** I say "Go For It" in reverse with lots of pics.