Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking down a long arm >

taking down a long arm

taking down a long arm

Old 05-04-2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mardilee View Post
Hi, quilting board members. May I have your opinion. I'm moving soon and am taking my Handiquilter Avante with me to my new home. My dealer (about 2 hours away from my current place) wants $300 to come to my home and take my machine down. He is not transporting it, nor will he set it up in the new place. Is that a fair price? Should I try to take it apart myself? The instruction manual shows how to set it up. I could just follow the directions backwards. What do you think? Sadly, I have no handy husband to help me out. I'm on my own. Thanks for your opinions.
PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES! You can't take too many pictures. And when it cones to the final countdown, get a couple extra bodies to help!
Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:21 AM

I am with the majority here, do it yourself. I set up and took down my LA frame, my husband helped in keeping it steady while removing the rollers. For me doing it myself is the only way I learn something. It frustrates my husband to no end.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 AM

You can do it! But, take pictures and make notes. Little things you think you will remember - you might not. Heck, you are a quilter!!! putting things together is what you do!!!!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Before you take it apart, take photos and photos of the pieces. Close up photos. Get some gallon Ziploc bags you can label photos 1 thru #.That is what my husband does. He'll write down right front this or that.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:57 PM

I agree with the others -- get some friends and go for it! You might also want to call Handi-Quilter and see if they have any suggestions and also call them if you need help putting it back together. The thing I noticed when my Avante was delivered and set up by my great local dealer is that levelling seems to be the most important thing.