Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk about an unnecessary item! >

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 AM

dont know about wally world but my Joannes will give me some there are some of them they cant give away (usually the better ones) but the fold ones work very well just started to do this but no place to put them yet when we get moved and i have my own room i will do this with anything over 2 yards
Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 AM

The Joanns I go to is more than happy to give them. I was there the other day and asked for a couple, I am using a walker so I could only carry a couple with the other things I bought, she said pull your car around and I'll bring a bunch to you! so cool!
I also found out that if you contact the people who runs somebody's election they also are more than happy to give you the elections signs you see on the side of the road, these are coroplast
David
Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM

ncredbird:
I think the "redi-board" would generically be called "Foam-core" board. I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else, thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't made the leap yet, but think I'd like to get my bolted fabric off the cardboard for space saving. Good qualities: lightweight, stiff enough, inexpensive, cut to "your shelf" size, can be cut with a razor knife & straight-edge ruler (I'd use a metal ruler-don't damage your good quilting rulers). I have gotten foam-core board (typically 1/4" thickness) @ school supply stores, or Walmart, but I think you got me beat for price!

QuilterChick:
The solid pegboard-type stuff @ Home Depot is called Masonite (a common brand name), & comes in sizes from 4'x8' down to 2' x 4'. You can also ask Home Depot to make a cut for you: first cut free (on most wood products), although they may not be willing, as this stuff really dulls the blades.

Suggestion for those using cardboard: What about buying a good roll of heavier saran-wrap (Cheaper @ Costco/Sam's Club) & covering the cardboard to prevent any worry of acid leaching? Or do we then have to worry if the Saran-wrap is acid? :) I have plenty of boxes!

Here is a source for your own acid-free PVC sheet material if you want to cut your own: Look up Komatex or Sintra. http://www.tri-dee.com/sintra_plastic_pvc.htm, 3mm is about an 1/8 inch thickness, what "Polar notions" & other boards are made of. The nice idea here is there are no corregated edges to cut your hands or fabric on, yet it is a lightweight solid.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM

I have never worried about acid free cardboard for fabrics.

after all, how old do you think the bolts of fabrics are ,

and how long have they been in the shops?

i would be more concerned about sun/light fading the fabric..than acid damage.

to each his own.

i for one , apprecite all the advice and ideas given here..you are all amazing!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I'll stick with buying the original fabric boards. One click and it's delivered to my door and I have a good product that does the job I want it to.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Nothing like having a quilt shop in your own home - looks great! And love the suggestion - will check it out.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM

I use foam core boards from the stationary store - cut them to the size I need. I get quite a few from 1 board and they are a lot cheaper than the ones for sale at most quilting supply sites.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Well as for the age of fabrics - I don't know how long they have been on the bolts at the fabric store. I do know that in cleaning up my stash and putting it on bolts that I have found buried fabrics that I can date back 20 years. I assume that I will never get through all the fabric that I have down there in my lifetime so I am taking no chances. (The fabric from 20 years ago was originally made into a maternity blouse for my now deceased DIL. I will be putting it into a memory quilt for her daughter who will be graduating for HS soon.)
Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 AM

That's amazing, the Joann's I worked at was glad to hand them out any time we were asked even though we recycled the cardboard.
Originally Posted by Up North
I asked for those at Walmart and Joanns but the won't give them away here!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 AM

I recently worked at JoAnn's and the bolts that their fabric came in on was actually folded cardboard instead of those thicker ones. You can get 2 0r 3 fabric boards from one if you cut it right. Make it a point to be in the store just before closing-the clerks take the empties back to the stock room to be crushed and will be glad to let you have a few.