Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder >

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Okay, I think I get it now. Every Monday will be a new post, right?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Yes, Mondays will be the next step. I am not sure yet how many it will take to get it done, not that many really, We are going to lay out and cut so I hope by them we have everyone with their fabric.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM

I'm going to an all day (1-10) sewing session on Friday at my LQS (PittsburgPam is going too!!!) and I'll see if i can't find something then! I have an idea...just need to find the right fabric.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Great!!!!! I want to see everyones so bad. They are so much fun. And even if two people end up with the same fabric they will still end up with differnt blocks. Especialy if they cut differnt sizes.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM

OK..I found some really pretty butterfly fabric...What size block would I cut for this? It looks beautiful in my put-to-gether mirrors
It looks like a 15 inch repeat.

um.. Cutebuns?....Are you any relation to my son/ His girlfriend use to call him Puppybuns!

With my mom's help I did get this image
[ATTACH=CONFIG]59871[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-59871.jpe   attachment-61097.jpe  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM

I think you'd get some really neat blocks with the raspberries and birds fabric. Think of the areas of brown and tan VS the pink fruit and green leaves.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
If you are doing a wall hanging. You don't need much. Look for the repeat going sideways as well as down. To do the hexagons you need 6 repeats. So it wholey depends on how it is repeated.
If your repeat section is less thn 12" long, you might want to go with 12 repeats instead of 6. Then you'll have more strips to work with to make your triangles from.
I use my hinged mirror to look at my fabric to decide how wide a strip to cut. Hold it on the fabric so the hinged corner is 3" from the cut edge, then move it so it's maybe 3 1/2" from the cut edge. You can then see the size of the hexagon you'll be working with in the miror. If the main shapes are smaller, like 3" tall birds, you'll probably want to go with strips that are 3 - 3 1/2" wide. If the main shapes are larger, you can go with a wider strip. Just remember that your hexagon will be twice the width of your strip when pieced together.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
I think you'd get some really neat blocks with the raspberries and birds fabric. Think of the areas of brown and tan VS the pink fruit and green leaves.
Sorry, that was a quick look at the fabric and I thought the pink flowers were raspberries.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
OK..I found some really pretty butterfly fabric...What size block would I cut for this? It looks beautiful in my put-to-gether mirrors
It looks like a 15 inch repeat.

um.. Cutebuns?....Are you any relation to my son/ His girlfriend use to call him Puppybuns!
It looks like the butterflies are around 3" across. I wouldn't go any wider than 3 1/2" wide cut strips.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Yes, that's a gorgeous print. It should turn out very neat. I made a OBW with a tropical bird print that had many of the same colors in it, titled: "Parrots, Toucans, Macaws, Oh My!". Think of all the colors in those birds plus green foliage. Fabric that has more than 10 colors does work. Having a swirling printed background instead of a solid color background makes for a better result as well.