Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about thread

I use Mettler Metrosene 50 wt for piecing.

mltquilt

Thanks for your help.
    Holly

Quote Originally Posted by hsweany View Post
    What kind of thread do you use on your domestic machine? I have been using Coats and Clark all purpose or dual duty thread, but it seems to get tangled or break easily. Should I get a different kind? Thanks for your help!

With those problems the first thing I'd do would be to try another kind. Sometimes a machine does not like particular types of thread.

I just recently tried Aurifil. It seems pricey, but with it being so fine, you get a lot more mileage and it makes for such a nice finish on your work. I didn't think different thread could make such a difference. Now I know! And now I have a lot of other thread in my stash that I don't want to use, now that I've found Aurifil, though I will have to, to get it used up.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I use Connecting Threads cotton thread and have never had a problem using it in any of my machines.
    Lynn

Blog Entries
    Superior totally! I normally just use white, off white, gray, and black. The cones last forever. If have need for another small amount of color I buy a small spool of Gutterman.

I use Aurifil and really like it.

Blog Entries
    When I bought my Bernina, they sent me home to practice awhile before taking my free lesson. When I went back the instructor said my Aurifil was an excellent choice as there is very little lint with it. I was told to definitely stay away from C & C.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    With those problems the first thing I'd do would be to try another kind. Sometimes a machine does not like particular types of thread.

I just recently tried Aurifil. It seems pricey, but with it being so fine, you get a lot more mileage and it makes for such a nice finish on your work. I didn't think different thread could make such a difference. Now I know! And now I have a lot of other thread in my stash that I don't want to use, now that I've found Aurifil, though I will have to, to get it used up.
    Me too! My Janome 6600P loves the aurifil and it lasts a really long time. I've found that using aurifil has cut down my frustration immensley!

Blog Entries
    Buy one spool of each well known brand and you can compare which thread works best for you. I have at least one spool of every brand of thread and weight size there are. I use them all as one machine likes one brand over the other, one needle size likes one brand over the other, one works best for hand sewing, one works best for embroidery, machine quilting, decorative stitches and which brand will work best in the bobbin. Soon you can cull out the brands of thread that cause you trouble.
    Got fabric?

..... and instead of a fabric stash, you will soon have a thread stash! The good news is that it takes much less space!

BellaBoo ... great quote in your siggy!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast