Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taller table >

taller table

taller table

Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 AM

I just did a little search and was taken to Martha Pullen's site. They were discussing the same. Several had bought the bed risers from Bed,Bath& Beyond and said they work perfectly, espcially under the dining room table. I just had to pass this along. They cone in
5 1/2" and also 7" YOu might want to check on this item. It would be cheaper than building a table. Bed Risers! Who would have thought?

http://forums.marthapullen.com/read.php?f=6&i=5127&t=5127

June
Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 AM

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. As for the ironing board not being sturdy enough, I was thinking of buying two and mounting a board to the top. I was thinking that with two of them on the same board that it might work. Has anyone else tried this.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:47 AM

Someone told me there is a pattern available for a board that is made to fit over the ironing board, that makes for a larger surface. She said the pattern was in a quilting magazine. Maybe Google mgiht help. I can't imagine how big the surface could be, without causing the ironing board to topple. I would rather raise a table (even temporarily) that go that route.

June
Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 AM

:) A few years ago, I purchased a table from Joann's, I use it to lay out my quilt tops and clamp down for pinning or tying. It folds down to 12 inches. Has two sides 24 inches x 36 inches. On sale it was around $59.
35 inches high.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:30 AM

I would think that with all the Hancock's and Walmart Fabric Depts going out of business we all should be able to get cutting tables for cheap!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:31 AM

I used a rectangle dinning table and put paint cans under the legs. Perfect height !
Old 06-11-2007, 07:35 AM

I use a small dining table for my sewing/cutting table. I have been thinking of looking for taller replacement legs, maybe at the Home Depot or something. Since pub height tables are the latest thing, there should be taller legs available somewhere.

If I can't do that, I am going to see about tall furniture at garage sales, or maybe a set of kitchen cabinets that someone is getting rid of after remodeling. It should be easy to group cabinets together and top them with something. I think it would be really stable and I'd have more storage space too!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
MCH

I have a 36 x 72 table on the BB&B risers installed in my sewing room. It's a great set-up for cutting fabric...now, if I could just move some of that fabric off it so that I could cut out some new projects...so that... Oh, that's a different problem. :wink:

An additional hint...I use the same size table with risers as a surface for wrapping Christmas presents. My husband and grown sons (each > 6' tall) appreciate the extra "wrapping height", as well.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Pat

ccbear66, I remembered seeing a pattern for a large top to add to a ironing board for pressing quilting tops. You could make it for cutting if you rather have that. I found the book, it was in the"ConnectingThreads " Winter 2005 cataloge. I have a bad habit of saving things!!! The pattern was $7.00. They also had a "BIG BOARD" already made up for $98.95. They also have free pattern downloads at www.ConnectingThreads.com. I hope this helps you out. This is a great cataloge, they have fabric, patterns, tools, everything. Check it out. I have gotten their newer book too. So I know they are still in business. Pat
Old 06-11-2007, 02:40 PM

I checked on the web site and didn't find anything like that. I think that maybe I'll just have my husband cut some pieces of thick wood to put under the table that I have now and keep my eyes open at garage sales this summer to see if I can find something better.
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I knew that I could count on you gals for some great advise.