Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tater bags! >

tater bags!

tater bags!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 PM

ok got my warm tater batting, potato fabric, and cotton thread. now all i have to do is CUT the potato fabric and i am so scared i am going to screw it up! being thrifty (politically correct for cheap) i never spent that much money on a piece of fabric before in my life and now i am scared to cut it! the directions look simple enough. think i'll tackle it on wednesday (my day off) weather here in ohio is kinda creepy tonight. there was supposedly a tornado in jackson milton-austintown area which is about 20 minutes away. what is with these storms lately?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Google Goddess

we had some storms in central Indiana today and was a tornado about 20 miles north of us

be safe
Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM

Hope everyone stays safe from all the tornados. Dopler radar looks bad.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:32 PM

it's so scary anymore. so many natural disasters this year. missouri was heartbreaking to see. sister in law lives in maple grove minnesota. tornado that hit minneapolis was about 20 minutes away.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM

I never see so many tornados, They have been all over Ok the last two days. There are tornados all over the US. I don't think it use to be like this. I know OK. KS and Texas Is tornado alley, but now they go up North and North West, and to the East. They are so bad
Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

been in and out of the shelter all night here in northern OK tonight..they tomorrow will be worse..yeah..NOT..

as for your tater bag..wash the fabric first...you want it to shrink NOW not later in the micro...

also be sure you use only cotton thread and cotton batting..and DO NOT embroider on it...anything but cotton can catch fire in the microwave..also never put a WET potato in it..that also causes flames...

have fun!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by barb55
I never see so many tornados, They have been all over Ok the last two days. There are tornados all over the US. I don't think it use to be like this. I know OK. KS and Texas Is tornado alley, but now they go up North and North West, and to the East. They are so bad
my sister in law who is deathly afraid of tornados lives in minnesota. they call that the new tornado alley. i told her she needs to move back home to ohio!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 PM

Don't be afraid. The fabric has such a nice drape and the tater bags are wonderful. I was afraid at first. Made the mistake of using 80/20 batting. The whole kitchen smelled like the house was on fire. The fabric melted and almost caught on fire. Now I use the natural stuff with the tater bag instructions. Now I need to sell a few.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
been in and out of the shelter all night here in northern OK tonight..they tomorrow will be worse..yeah..NOT..

as for your tater bag..wash the fabric first...you want it to shrink NOW not later in the micro...

also be sure you use only cotton thread and cotton batting..and DO NOT embroider on it...anything but cotton can catch fire in the microwave..also never put a WET potato in it..that also causes flames...

i bought the batting called warm tater just for the bags. got all cotton thread too. they look easy enough to do. figure they will make great xmas presents for the family - hope no one is on board so iit will be a surprise. i mean what to do you get your parents, in laws, etc when they have everything???

have fun!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ragqueen03
ok got my warm tater batting, potato fabric, and cotton thread. now all i have to do is CUT the potato fabric and i am so scared i am going to screw it up! being thrifty (politically correct for cheap) i never spent that much money on a piece of fabric before in my life and now i am scared to cut it! the directions look simple enough. think i'll tackle it on wednesday (my day off) weather here in ohio is kinda creepy tonight. there was supposedly a tornado in jackson milton-austintown area which is about 20 minutes away. what is with these storms lately?
If you are not afraid to cut the tater sack fabric - make a trial quilt or sample blocks using less expensive fabric - that way second time around, you will be a pro.
Hope everyone stays safe from the floods, storms & tornados