Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Tax Time!

  1. #11
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,467
    Blog Entries
    1
    Candace, you are so right. I used to use disposable cameras and didn't keep one on hand. Now I wish I had those photos.

  2. #12
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,703
    what if it's raffled, sold or auctioned by a charity? does that affect the value?

  3. #13
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,193
    Opps, I didnt get pictures or do any lists, I just get a letter from the charity. I wonder if I will be able to deduct mine?

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    what if it's raffled, sold or auctioned by a charity? does that affect the value?
    No. Your charitable tax deduction is the value of the goods that YOU put into the quilt. If your quilt is auctioned off for $50,000 (as well it should be), well, that's to the benefit of the charity. But it doesn't affect how much it cost you to make the quilt.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Opps, I didnt get pictures or do any lists, I just get a letter from the charity. I wonder if I will be able to deduct mine?
    Of course you can. A letter from the charity is all you need.

    The other information concerning a description of the quilt, photo, and listing of materials and their cost is necessary is you DIDN'T get a receipt from a charity.

    Happy deducting!

  6. #16
    Super Member sahm4605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    2,198
    what a putty that we can't count our time for taxes also. bummer.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    what a putty that we can't count our time for taxes also. bummer.
    Ain't it the truth! That lap quilt I gave away at Christmas would be valued at a gazillion dollars.

  8. #18
    Junior Member doglover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    226
    I believe you have to have a receipt from the organization who received them saying how many, size, etc. to back up your receipts. I am not sure. I just looked at the IRS form but did it read it all.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Kathios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nottingham, NH
    Posts
    587
    Hi. I'm a Project Linus Coordinator in NH. Many volunteers will ask for a Gift In Kind statement when they donate quilts. This form has our Linus information, tax ID, etc., and I add the number of quilts, the date, volunteer's name, etc. We are not allowed to put down a value, as that is the decision of the person who made the quilt(s). So when you find an organization where you are going to donate your quilts, please request this form from them. Some quilters make the determination based on the cost of the materials. Others add in their time.....sometimes they double the cost of the materials. I've not heard of anyone having trouble with the IRS, so good luck!

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathios
    Hi. I'm a Project Linus Coordinator in NH. Many volunteers will ask for a Gift In Kind statement when they donate quilts. This form has our Linus information, tax ID, etc., and I add the number of quilts, the date, volunteer's name, etc. We are not allowed to put down a value, as that is the decision of the person who made the quilt(s). So when you find an organization where you are going to donate your quilts, please request this form from them. Some quilters make the determination based on the cost of the materials. Others add in their time.....sometimes they double the cost of the materials. I've not heard of anyone having trouble with the IRS, so good luck!
    Sigh. Some folks probably do add in the value of their time, but that is specifically prohibited by the IRS Code. It is fraud. Although some people get away with it, it is still fraud. See item #2 in the attached article.

    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106990,00.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.