Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tax Time! >

Tax Time!

Tax Time!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM

Candace, you are so right. I used to use disposable cameras and didn't keep one on hand. Now I wish I had those photos.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM

what if it's raffled, sold or auctioned by a charity? does that affect the value?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Opps, I didnt get pictures or do any lists, I just get a letter from the charity. I wonder if I will be able to deduct mine?
Old 01-29-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
what if it's raffled, sold or auctioned by a charity? does that affect the value?
No. Your charitable tax deduction is the value of the goods that YOU put into the quilt. If your quilt is auctioned off for $50,000 (as well it should be), well, that's to the benefit of the charity. But it doesn't affect how much it cost you to make the quilt.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Opps, I didnt get pictures or do any lists, I just get a letter from the charity. I wonder if I will be able to deduct mine?
Of course you can. A letter from the charity is all you need.

The other information concerning a description of the quilt, photo, and listing of materials and their cost is necessary is you DIDN'T get a receipt from a charity.

Happy deducting!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM

what a putty that we can't count our time for taxes also. bummer.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
what a putty that we can't count our time for taxes also. bummer.
Ain't it the truth! That lap quilt I gave away at Christmas would be valued at a gazillion dollars.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 AM

I believe you have to have a receipt from the organization who received them saying how many, size, etc. to back up your receipts. I am not sure. I just looked at the IRS form but did it read it all.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:38 AM

Hi. I'm a Project Linus Coordinator in NH. Many volunteers will ask for a Gift In Kind statement when they donate quilts. This form has our Linus information, tax ID, etc., and I add the number of quilts, the date, volunteer's name, etc. We are not allowed to put down a value, as that is the decision of the person who made the quilt(s). So when you find an organization where you are going to donate your quilts, please request this form from them. Some quilters make the determination based on the cost of the materials. Others add in their time.....sometimes they double the cost of the materials. I've not heard of anyone having trouble with the IRS, so good luck!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Hi. I'm a Project Linus Coordinator in NH. Many volunteers will ask for a Gift In Kind statement when they donate quilts. This form has our Linus information, tax ID, etc., and I add the number of quilts, the date, volunteer's name, etc. We are not allowed to put down a value, as that is the decision of the person who made the quilt(s). So when you find an organization where you are going to donate your quilts, please request this form from them. Some quilters make the determination based on the cost of the materials. Others add in their time.....sometimes they double the cost of the materials. I've not heard of anyone having trouble with the IRS, so good luck!
Sigh. Some folks probably do add in the value of their time, but that is specifically prohibited by the IRS Code. It is fraud. Although some people get away with it, it is still fraud. See item #2 in the attached article.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106990,00.html