Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax Time!

I know I know bad bad words :D I am just curious,I plan on donating quilts this year. Can that be a deduction on next years taxes? If so how do I determine the value?
    Thank you!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    I know I know bad bad words :D I am just curious,I plan on donating quilts this year. Can that be a deduction on next years taxes? If so how do I determine the value?
    Thank you!
    David
    You can deduct them as a non cash contribution on Schedule A. The value is just the cost of the fabric and batting.

Good question. I would think you could claim the cost of the materials, but I doubt you could claim for time put in. You have to have a receipt for everything now to claim the deduction. Also, it has to be a "qualified" charity/organization that you are donating to.

I will ask my daughter she is CPA.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    That's a good question. I will be donation quilts this year too. I will watch for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    Thank you!
    David
    You can deduct them as a non cash contribution on Schedule A. The value is just the cost of the fabric and batting.
    Here's free advice from a CPA: Scissor Queen is correct. You can deduct the cost of the materials you spent to make the quilts. This doesn't have to be a format cash register receipt from a store, but you need to write out a list of everything you used to make the quilt (fabric, batting, blah, blah) and the fair market value of each (i.e. what you paid for that item in a store). Add it up. Date it. Write other details such as a description of the quilt and to whom it was donated. If you are REALLY good, you can take a photo of the quilt and attach it to your receipt list as evidence of the beautiful quilt you made and donated. If the organization to which you donated the quilt give you a receipt (one of those receipts where you fill in the value of the item yourself), just attach it to your information.

The IRS will accept such information as a valid receipt -- but it needs to be done at the time you make the donation (not 3 years later when the IRS wants to audit your tax return). The IRS personnel are real people (I've done that job, too) and they will accept reasonable information to show the value of the item you donated.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. The part about taking pics is a good idea because I haven't taken pictures of the quilts I've made for others whether it's quilt for charity or a gift for a loved one. Now I will regardless either way.

ALWAYS take photos!

You need an official receipt from the charity receiving it, otherwise it may not be accepted. You determine the value, but it may be challenged and given commercial market value by the IRS.

The value would be the cost of materials. Your time does not count.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast