Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Teaching someone to quilt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
    Is she familiar with her sewing machine? I start all my true sewing beginners on string blocks. They are forgiving on seams (until there is a BIT more confidence...then you don't have to be a task master to start). I taught 3 children from ages 6-12 this summer and we made string blocks till then end. By then they were ready to move on and made pillowcases. They even mastered my serger!
    Sounds great!! However I am beginning to think I have a REAL novice who hasn't used a machine. I have a basic machine I can teach her on if necessary!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NUBQ View Post
    Wow!! Thats unique and fun!! Never seen it before!!
    Last edited by Bamagal; 09-08-2012 at 04:45 PM.

My first quilt was a Turning Twenty. It's so easy because the pieces are large and the blocks are as well. In fact, I'll be teaching it as a beginning quilting class for my church.
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was a sampler that had 20 blocks. The first ones were nine and four patch, then progressed to half square triangles, appliqué, etc. one block was a picture of our house. It was fun and a way to learn by beginning with simple blocks and progressing to more difficult ideas. It was a way to develop a good understanding of how a jilt block is designed and constructed. The quilt was on our bed for five years, and we still have it.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    It is late and I want to get to bed so I have not read all of the suggestions so please forgive me if I am (accidentally) repeating what someone else already said.

I would suggest she start on something smaller such as placemats or a table runner. They are far less overwhelming and provide quicker gratification than a lap or bed quilt. I think rail fence goes quickly and is also easy to quilt and makes great placemats. You are an angel to share your knowledge and skills.

I would choose a pattern that is easily accomplished and not too challenging so she gets the "feeling of accomplishment". I started sewing a couple of years ago, and took a beginner sewing class, and was thrilled to bring home a completed project "I made myself!" (I'm 50 yrs. old) It was a tote bag.

After that I saw an ad about quilting and went and did that class. I loved the project but found myself at home alone trying to figure out how to complete it. I have learned a lot since, but I think a project that could be completed during the class would have boosted my enthusiasm and confidence.
    :-)
    CAS

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5