Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tearing versus cutting >

Tearing versus cutting

Tearing versus cutting

Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
tearing your fabric makes a straight edge because the tear runs along the grainline of the fabric, usually after it is torn you then fold it in half salvage to salvage lining up the torn edge and trim it...you usually save alot of fabric doing it this way. i have bought cut fabric from the lqs that was as much as 3" off on one end; alot of waste squaring up my fabric, when the fabric is torn you only have to trim a sliver (like a 1/4") instead of inches. you have a straight edge to start with and less waste.
I agree, but only if the shop ALWAYS tears their fabric. If one clerk tears it and the next one cuts it, you get all kinds of wonky sizes.
Personally, I don't mind at all if the store tears the fabric. I find that after washing, it is a lot easier to true up. You'd be amazed at how NOT even the selvedges can be, so don't count on matching them up to even up anything.
I just cut all my strips for a bargello from torn fabric and it came out beautifully, All the strips were straight.
Oh, I also starch my fabric if I've washed it, and sometimes even if I haven't :thumbup: