Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me about the machines >

Tell me about the machines

Tell me about the machines

Old 12-12-2014, 05:05 AM

You just need to go out and shop machines. You will learn a lot here, but there is so much to know about each machine, you just need to shop and try them out.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:05 AM

My precious elderly Elna died and parts were almost impossible to find. No one close to home was wiling to tackle the job! (Interesting.) I had read the QB threads re machines. Oodles of information and good sense. I looked for years for a replacement. brand new or well experienced. After doing my "experienced sewing machine part of my research, I discovered Husqvarna Viking had the entire, as in every word, of the manual for the Husqvarna Designer Diamond Royale on its web site. I read the whole manual, considered what I had read and had experienced hands on, robbed a bank, and bought it. (The sale break was monumental.)

The DDR hasn't cooled off on my sewing table yet. Too much going on around me to do much of anything but keep re-reading the manual so I cannot tell you much about my personal, hands on in the middle of the night (favorite time to sew) experience. Also please keep in mind that I am a book learner.

Remember to look for support from a local dealer AND the manufacturer; both now and into the future. Both classes, parts, repairs, and projects. Remember to take a sample collection of the fabrics you usually sew AND the ones you would like to sew in the future if you buy this machine.

And lastly, plan on loving whatever choice you make. Attitude makes the difference.

No matter what, enjoy the ride.

Pat
Old 12-12-2014, 09:37 AM

I won't bore you with details of my devotion to Brother machines, but when I went shopping, I had no idea what was out there for me. I have always had a budget friendly machine to sew on with the exception of my first machine that was an old industrial white rotary. (one of which I was gifted for Christmas this year!). Imagine my sense of wonder when I discovered that some machines will thread the needle for me! Eureka! I have glaucoma and as I get older my eyesight will get worse, so a machine that threads the needle will allow me to continue sewing as long as possible. Then I found the thread cutter, push button stitch change, the bells and whistles continue to keep me interested in trying 'new to me' things. I haven't yet used the knee presser foot lift, because those knee pedals on machines I have owned or used, have always been substitutes for the foot feed, not to lift the presser foot. My poor confused knee would end up mixing me up. I know my learning limits. As far as how many stitches, that is a subjective number since as quilters we don't used very many of the fancy stitches, but it is nice to know they are there if I want to play with an idea. (I do like having the ability to do monograms at the touch of a button.)I was especially amazed that my machine will sew sideways which allows me to increase the area a certain pattern will fill. Go shopping, find what is useful to you. A certain brand name is less important than if all the bells and whistles are useful for YOU. Yes, I know, we are all assumed to have brand specific loyalty, but if a different maker meets all your sewing needs, they are your new favorite. Start by playing with machines in shows and shops until you find the one that 'begs to live at your house'. Good luck.

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-12-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:05 AM

"I haven't yet used the knee presser foot lift, because those knee pedals on machines I have owned or used, have always been substitutes for the foot feed, not to lift the presser foot. My poor confused knee would end up mixing me up."

I have to laugh at that because I know what you mean. My mother always has used the knee pedal to power her Singer. Of course, it was one of the first machines I learned on. I didn't sew on it but a few years yet that was imprinted in my brain. I now have machine with a knee lift. I often forget it is there but am getting better about knowing how to use it.