Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me about quilt labels ... >

Tell me about quilt labels ...

Tell me about quilt labels ...

Old 10-24-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm making pretty good progress on the blocks for this ... http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158970-1.htm

My first project ... and realise that it needs a quilt label, of course it does, and it needs to be dedicated to my Gran - without sounding too sentimental and bearing in mind that we hope she won't have it for TOO long (She's wanting/waiting to die) and then it will be coming back to me, and it should have my name and the date on it, but other than that sort of vague idea I don't know how I should go about this ....

I am hand stitching and will be handquilting and do not have a sewing machine, let alone one with a writing programme, and yet I think I would rather it have a stitched label than a fabric pen one ... Are they available online anywhere?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Helen
Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Good thing you have a computer, you can do it on clipart. I do all my labels by going to Microsoft word, using clipart and inserting the name of quilt, receipent's name, my name and date. Use store bought fabric sheets, the one in the yellow package. Be sure it states "sew in" They are available at your local quilt shop, Joann's and even Wal Mart.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sylviasmom
Good thing you have a computer, you can do it on clipart. I do all my labels by going to Microsoft word, using clipart and inserting the name of quilt, receipent's name, my name and date. Use store bought fabric sheets, the one in the yellow package. Be sure it states "sew in" They are available at your local quilt shop, Joann's and even Wal Mart.
this was my thought as well. i commend you for your progress. i can't even imagine doing it all without a machine.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Wow all without a machine! The label could read something like "Here's a warm hug from your loving grandaughter." I send my kids off to college with labels that said here is a warm hug from home.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM

I did a butterfly quilt and fussy cut a butterfly and wrote the label in a fine point waterproof pen. I haven't experimented with printed labels. Would like to see a photo of your quilt when it's done. So ambitious of you! I hope Gran gets her wish.