Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!! >

Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!!

Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!!

Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 PM

My first quilt was just that, but I also did it QAYG. This was about 8 years ago, the quilt is still on the back of my easy chair, has been washed about every two weeks since my dog also loves to use it and is still going strong.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like a great idea! didn't someone post recently how she did something similar using an old comforter as the base for quilt as you go? I think I saw it here. I would go for it as a qayg
Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

When you get to the bigger pieces on the outside, you can "prepiece" them. Join two fabrics to make an edge long enough to cover the raw edge on the previous piece and then join the oieced unit to the wuilt.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:43 PM

I think it would work just fine with a foundation piece. Joining fabric for a strip may need to be done for length...

How about doing just 6 big squares (24") and that would make it easier to handle?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:13 PM

This is what I did back in '70 when there weren't any quilt books in my library and I had to figure it out by myself. I took an old cotton flannel blanket and started in the upper left-hand corner and sewed little pieces of fabric on by hand using the blanket stitch in black sewing thread. My primary sewing activities up to that point had been making clothes for myself because I was so poor. When I finally finished it, I bought some horrible fabric for .50 cents a yard at Sears and a cotton batting that still had bits of seeds in it and had my friends over for a "tying party." I think the guys had more fun than the girls and the big pitcher of Sangria probably did no harm (lol). I still have the quilt, although the first time I washed it the batting wadded up like you wouldn't believe. I removed the ties (just bits of yarn and embroidery floss) and the batting and put a new backing on it and it is still really one of the coolest quilts I own. The scraps were from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's and I guess the reason it is still in good shape is because I stopped using it on the beds about twenty years ago. See, this is why I love being an "old lady:" happy memories!
Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM

That's kind of what I did recently: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...quilt+makeover
Have fun with it!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM

I agree that doing it in squares will give a better result. I do lots of "sew and flip", which is a form of crazy quilt assembly. The bigger the square, the bigger the piece of fabric you need to extend from one end to another and the more chance you have of curvature and bubbling. You can find yourself in a situation where the only way to make a piece fit is to cover up a lot of territory already done. This is hard to explain, but if you try it, you will see what I mean.

Dayle
Old 08-11-2012, 05:20 PM

i have a crazy quilt made with neckties hanging on my sewing room wall that goes from ceiling to floor and is about 6 ft wide, done entirely by hand it was a wedding gift from my husbands grandmother. it is probably one of our most prized possesions apparently my husband was her favorite at least she always said so. it is in reds and burgandys and is stunning next time i rearrange the sewing room i will photograph it although its hard to get far enough away. she did hers using mostly silk neckties and used a sheet to sew it to, i would never use it id be afraid to get it dirty. i worry enough about it hanging in a quilt hanger on the wall.
carla m
Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM
som

could someone tell me how to bookmark something,thanks a lot som
Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM

AS Nike would say, "Just do it!" You might as well try it.