Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tension on my Long arm

Ugh!!!! :cry: I have spent most of the day trying to get the tension correct on my Avante - Wondering if it might be the cotton/bamboo fabric that I used for backing. Anyway, I have a towa gauge and my bobbin tension is about 200-240 - then I set the top and the bobbin thread show up on top - when I change it - then the top thread shows through the bottom. I am using Signature 100% cotton thread and the same in the bobbin - I believe its 30 or 50 wt. Wondering also if I need to change my needle - have cleaned the bobbin and oiled it - rethreaded etc. I will try again tomorrow.

Don't understand how that towa thing works never heard of it till I joined here I have a Gammill Try new needle and new day, sometimes thats all it takes can you try a different material on a sample? without removing what you are working on? Or extra piece of backing so as not to mess up your quilt I hate it when things don't go as planned!

top thread showing on the bottom means bobbin tension not tight enough--tweek it a little.

Quote Originally Posted by franie
    top thread showing on the bottom means bobbin tension not tight enough--tweek it a little.
    Thank you for your suggestions - I had to walk away from it for a while - get too frustrated - tomorrow morning I will try that . Thanks....

Check the Superior Threads site. There's a wealth of information about machine tension there. HTH!!

Try to loosen the tension of your quilt on the rollers. If it is to tight the threads won't sink.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A new day is sometimes all it takes.

To save a lot of seam ripping on the actual quilt I try to have extra space with sandwiched scrap fabric pinned beside the quilt on my long arm that I test stitch until the tension is perfect, if I'm having issues.

Keep tweaking. Sometimes it can take a lot of adjusting, then again it can quilt perfect for a long time without any changes in either the top or bottom tension.

I have a Nolting Fun Quilter and have been fortunate most of the time. I like having the spare space to test the tension on before I start the quilt.

Get some rest and good luck in the morning.