Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97 >

Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97

Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97

Old 08-24-2013, 06:58 AM

Cool Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97

OK, I made this quilt from scraps for a Quilt of Valor donation. I was quite excited that it turned out so well. I pieced it, laid it out, even took a picture of it. Then I quilted it and thought it turned out really nice, that is until I was cutting off the excess material in perpetration to bind it.

Now what do I do? Is there any way to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

My first thought would be to applique something between the two star patches. Something that would connect the two to look like part of the design. A silhouette of an eagle in the red maybe?

Last edited by BellaBoo; 08-24-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:07 AM

You call it a design decision. That's what makes this quilt unique.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 AM

First off...Your quilt is beautiful! It looks like you just turned around 2 sections. If it were mine...I would carefull take out the quilting in just this area, sew the pieces int he right place and then requilt it. It's not as bad as you think. We have all done this. I love your quilt and the design. Don't beat yourself up over this. Just remember...there are never any mistakes in qujilting...only creative adjustments. I'm sure the person recieving this will love it!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 AM

Maryb119 has a great plan - or maybe you could find a poem or phrase about imperfections/uniqueness/and applique it there.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 AM

As a last resort, you could cut down the quilt all round and then add a further border possibly incorporating the stars again. It's really a lovely quilt though. I am sure you could unpick the area as suggested by Mary above. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:15 AM

The person receiving the quilt will probably never notice or think that the pattern was meant to be that way. The real question is: Can you live with the error or will it always bother you? Your answer will tell you what to do.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Personally I would follow maryb's suggestion. I've found it's not half as bad as you would think to pick out quilting. Or you could take a white piece of fabric, embroider something on it that goes with the QOV theme (I know QOV has guidelines on what cannot go on one of their quilts, so you might need to consult with them), turn under the edges and applique it to completely cover the part of the edge that is, shall we say, "different". Then quilt that area again. It is still a beautiful quilt, and you are a very special person to be contributing to QOV.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 AM

Beautiful quilt. I would do what Maryb suggested. It will take some time but if it was my quilt I would be happier knowing it was done the way it was originally meant to be.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Yes this! It will be worth it.

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
First off...Your quilt is beautiful! It looks like you just turned around 2 sections. If it were mine...I would carefull take out the quilting in just this area, sew the pieces int he right place and then requilt it. It's not as bad as you think. We have all done this. I love your quilt and the design. Don't beat yourself up over this. Just remember...there are never any mistakes in qujilting...only creative adjustments. I'm sure the person recieving this will love it!

Last edited by Annaquilts; 08-24-2013 at 07:41 AM.