Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: theme quilt

My father recently passed away and he was an avid gardener, woodworker and bird watcher. I wondered if anyone knows of pattern/s that would incorporate all three themes?

bj
    I'm sorry about your dad. I think a quilt honoring his hobbies is a nice idea. On Fons and Porter today (in Lubbock) they showed a quilt they called 'flip a coin'. It was done in long strips: a med. width (maybe 3.5" by the length of the quilt) of "stacked coins" which was just strip pieced (1.5") sets of fabrics coordinated with their focus fabric...about 12 different fabrics in random order. Then there was a thinner long strip (length of the quilt) of striped fabric. Then a 3rd long strip (maybe 6" wide by length of quilt) of the focus fabric. They were ordered stacked strip, striped strip, focus fabric strip, striped strip, stacked strip, striped strip, focus strip, striped strip, stacked strip, striped strip, focus strip, striped strip, stacked strip. Then they put a border around it. If you found a focus fabric for each of his hobbies, you could do something like that.

I think I found the picture of the quilt on the Fons and Porter slideshow. Thank you

I went to the quilt show in Hampton Va and there was a quilt (applique) that showed birds, birdhouses, and flowers on it. really pretty! Maybe if applique is your thing, you could try something like tht.