Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a "correct" way to fold fabric for storage? >

Is there a "correct" way to fold fabric for storage?

Is there a "correct" way to fold fabric for storage?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Another newbie question!

I started washing and ironing my "stash" this weekend (as a new quilter that didn't take too long!!) I was thinking about how best to fold and organize it (by color, by themes, fat quarters separately, etc) and it occurred to me: there are a lot of different ways to fold fabric!! LOL!!

Is there a preferred way to fold that will minimize wrinkles after it's been ironed or do you just fold it to fit the size of storage container you have? I have fat quarters, half yards and yards and a few multi-yards and there's so many ways to fold them. (selvage to selvage, in thirds, long??)

I am probably over thinking this but I thought why not learn from the pro's if there's a good idea out there I don't know about.

Thanks!!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM

I'm a newbie, too. But I have folded mine as it comes out of my dryer, then iron it when I am ready to use it. You would have to iron wrinkles out if you fold it after ironing and put it away. And I, too, would like to know if there is a "correct" way of folding for storage.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

I never followed a process when folding my fabrics, and now I have a huge stash that is a mess!

I advise finding a folding method you like and then sticking to it. There are websites and Youtube videos with great ideas. Google fabric organization and fabric storage.

Here's one video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTla...aoc&playnext=1

Oh, and I should add I don't advise ironing before storing; you will just have to iron again when you are ready to cut.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 PM

I wash all my fabrics and used to iron before storing, but not anymore due to too much time re-ironing.

I match up the selvages, not the ends as they are usually too crooked, fold in half, fold in half again, and just fold until the piece measures about 18" wide then fold in thirds to equal about 9" across. This way I can fit two rows side by side in the drawer. With see-through drawers it looks pretty.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 AM

The absolute CORRECT way to fold fabric is the way that works for your storage unit and for you. Each of us do it differently and I don't think that any one way is better than any other. Sorting is a personal preference too although I think most of us do it by color, there are also other catagories as your stash enlarges. Mine is by style and color. All my 30's/40's fabrics are together then sorted by color, my childrens fabrics are together then by color, etc. If your stash is small--a bin or two, a drawer or two, then you don't really have to sort it at all unless you want to because you can pretty much see it all at once. Don't overthink it, just do what works for you to maximize your enjoyment.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:55 AM

I started organizing my quilting room this past week and I tried the way that is show in the utube video using my 6 inch ruler. I like the way it looks - very neat and tidy.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 AM

There is no right or wrong way to fold ... just what suits you. Mine is going into plastic totes, since I'm hoping to move out of state before year's end. I have devised a way to fold yards (and more) in one way and half yards in a different way. And then fat quarters have their own fold and container. I can therefore see at a glance if a particular fabric is at least a yard or more. I like the way it looks, and I'm keeping the tote manufacturers in business! :)
Old 03-29-2010, 05:52 AM

How would you fold fabric that is several yards long and wide? I was told not to cut until needed so, any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
The absolute CORRECT way to fold fabric is the way that works for your storage unit and for you. Each of us do it differently and I don't think that any one way is better than any other. Sorting is a personal preference too although I think most of us do it by color, there are also other catagories as your stash enlarges. Mine is by style and color. All my 30's/40's fabrics are together then sorted by color, my childrens fabrics are together then by color, etc. If your stash is small--a bin or two, a drawer or two, then you don't really have to sort it at all unless you want to because you can pretty much see it all at once. Don't overthink it, just do what works for you to maximize your enjoyment.
I agree, I do fold some of mine like in the tut.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by butterjoy
How would you fold fabric that is several yards long and wide? I was told not to cut until needed so, any suggestions?
I fold the same way that I fold a yard or two .. selvage to selvage, then I "measure" a yard (tip of nose to end of finger) and layer the fabric until I have it all in a one yard "package" (1 yard long by 22" wide). Then fold just as you would a yard. The package will be thicker and you will know that fabric is definitely more than a yard.

The only way that I can envision this is the way that ribbon candy is "folded" ... clear as mud?