Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there another way?  Giant Dahlia Quilt >

Is there another way? Giant Dahlia Quilt

Is there another way? Giant Dahlia Quilt

Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

The most difficult part of this quilt for me would be drafting the templates--I don't measure exactly, can't cut cardboard straight. The curves are gentle. If you are worried about finding the correct points to match between the petals, you can get templates that include holes to mark the matching points. They are for, I believe, a 54" quilt. Kind of pricey for my taste.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:18 AM

I went to amazon books. Found the book offered by a few vendors for .01 ... Interesting..on my iPad no key for cent sign....I would think the hardest part of that is putting it onto a background...
Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

If you made the quilt in your Avatar, you can definitely do a Giant Dahlia. I would figure out a way to foundation or paper piece it. Another option is go with Norah McMeeking Bella Bella quilts. Her Venice Rose design is basically the Giant Dahlia but she has PP foundations for it in the book.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 AM

I think I would like to try one....have ordered the book for one penny plus shipping.........the video instructions ndattern from mojo are the convincer! I will just have to take my time...this will be a first with Elmer...although I do use sewline glue pen for my hexies......love it!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Marti Michel has a pattern for a Giant Dahlia and the templates are included. They are heavy so if you cut accurately, there would be no problem with them fitting. The details and illustrations look complete to me. Have material, pattern, but no time yet to do it. Agree with Feline, if you made your avatar the dahlia would be no problem.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 AM

I made one using this pattern and it was not hard at all. I was amazed with how well it all went together including setting the flower inside the giant circular opening to form the square corners. I had trouble with the very center of the flower laying flat where all the seams come together, so I appliqued a circle onto the center and cut away all the seams that came together under it. To make my templates I used the thin plastic sheet that comes in a package of bacon. Easy to see through when tracing the pattern and doesn't get "frayed" like cardboard does.

http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Yours_Truly_3919
Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 AM

OMG are those gorgeous! The "shesgotmojo" is amazing, scary; but with patience I do believe it is doable. Thank you one and all for the great sharing.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:44 AM

I have just finished piecing Giant dahlia--shesgotmojo pattern. It was easy to do. Just need to quilt it now.I did mine scrappy to use up my scraps. Didn,t even put a dent in them so far.
Good luck on whichever pattern you use to finish yours.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:21 AM

I do know that McCalls pattern company had a pattern for the giant dahlia quilt, because I have a copy of it. I will dig it out and find the pattern number for you. It is done by making each blade of the dahlia, then joining the curved strips. Looks manageable.i gotta go hunt a pattern....
Old 11-19-2014, 11:53 AM

I did make the quilt in my avatar and it is paper pieced. I have not found a paper pieced dahlia. The book I mentioned I bought does have cardboard templates which I could make sturdier by adding some kind of plastic.

It makes more sense with Barb's explanation of sewing all the pieces to make a spoke, then sew those together.

Feline Fanatic those Bella quilts are pretty, more modern looking than this Dahlia. Here's a link to a gallery of them http://www.bellabellaquilts.com/student.html

Madame Kelly I would love to see the McCall's one. Did you find the pattern number? I think it is the same as the one Martha mentioned http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/McCall%27s_8473_A

Thanks everyone. I'm going to a quilt expo in Portland on Friday and I want to bring a pattern this time in case I find fabric I HAVE TO have.

Last edited by CAS49OR; 11-19-2014 at 11:57 AM.