Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Are there any Bright Cotton Fabrics that do not lose their brightness during wash?

I have sewn several beautiful quilts with bright colors only to have the colors fade or lose their brightness after washing in cold water with woolite. I prewash the cotton fabrics before sewing them into quilts. They seem to have their brightness until I gentle wash them after sewn together. Could the batting make the difference? Or is it just the fabrics themselves? Got a recommendation as to name brand or other suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Woolite could be a problem. I'm not sure how it's made nowadays; I think there are quite a few chemicals in it. You might want to switch to Orvus. I think the component chemicals of your water can make a difference too.

Blog Entries
    I also use Orvus.

Power Poster
    My sil told me to wash in cold water? I don't know if there is a difference.

I noticed all my stuff fading. I thought it was my imagination and I bought a second piece of something I already had and compared it before I washed the second piece. There was a noticeable difference in brightness until I washed it. Then it was dull like the first piece. It is frustrating to me.

Where can you buy Orvus?

Blog Entries
    Farm stores carry it (I believe it's horse shampoo!). I have seen it in Fleet Farm. It is much less expensive purchased that way. Otherwise many quilt shops carry it. Amazon has it, but shipping adds on to the cost:
    http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Rule-...dp/B000BQLJIU/