Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there any Mac Quilt Software for free? >

Is there any Mac Quilt Software for free?

Is there any Mac Quilt Software for free?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 AM

I just go a new Macbook Pro. I am looking for quilt software or a quilt app that is free that I can do beginner design on. I am not an experienced quilter and I just want something on a computer that will help me make a few simple designs and then see how they will look on a quiltop. This Mac is my 50th Birthday present which will be on August 14 this year. My point is that I cannot very well say "Thanks for spending all that money on me, now can we buy some software?" Sooooo...is there any Mac friendly free quilt software?. I looked in the Mac App store and could not find ONE quilt app. When I typed in Quilt, it kept asking me did I mean "quint"? Very frustrated. Helppp
Old 07-30-2011, 04:32 AM
MTS
Banned

Michael posted this tutorial yesterday.
Using GIMP software (free) to design quilts.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-141145-1.htm
Read the posts for the Mac info link.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Looks like there is one!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 AM

I looked at it but it seems a bit convaluted (?) for a Mac. It talks about installing different things that appear somewhat confusing to me. Since the computer is new, I am hesitant to download things that I also have to download add ins and other components. Perhaps I will have someone who is more software savvy check it out for me and let me know exactly what I will be downloading.
Thanks for the info, I will keep it and check into it further. I cannot believe that all the quilt apps the iPhone and iPad have, that the Mac actual computer does not have anything? A little disappointed.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Quilt-pro has a software design package for mac. I have it and it is really great, plus they send you a new block each day that you can download into the software. They also have a foundation factory package for mac that has paper piecing blocks, many from Carol Doak. If you go to their site, you can see the video. Good luck with your mac, I love mine, they say once you go mac, you never go back. here is the link to their site. http://www.quiltpro.com/go.php?id=qp5mac_features
Old 07-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks a bunch! Is it expensive? I was hoping to find some free apps. Lol
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Good luck with your mac, I love mine, they say once you go mac, you never go back. here is the link to their site. http://www.quiltpro.com/go.php?id=qp5mac_features[/quote]
------------------------------------
Thanks for that link, I'll try it.

My love affair with Macs started in 1985, when I won a Mac 512 in a sweepstakes. I still have it and it still works. Then won another one in the early 90s (have to check my records) it was a Mac half egg looking thing, still have it and it still works, but my kids bought me this one about 4 years ago or so and it is a marvelous critter. And I think that Macs became far more popular when that terrible, terrible Vista was introduced. I tried one with a computer my son tried to give me but after a lot of problems I gave it back..