Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there an easier way? >

Is there an easier way?

Is there an easier way?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by gale
I just use a tiny stitch at the beginning and end of a line and cut it close to the quilt. Is that not a good idea?
Some people do it by machine, making 2 or 3 small stitches at the beginning and end, and the complaint about that method is that it leaves noticeable "bumps". If your method has been holding up for you, I think it should be fine. I would imagine it is not used more frequently because of the fear that single securing stitch will come out.
I guess I use several tiny stitches and then slowly make them bigger and bigger as I go. Not just one stitch. It doesn't make a bump though. If I use the lock stitch it does make a bump (or at least it did on my old machine). Since I have no plans to ever enter in a competition I guess it's fine.

eta: so far I've only done straight line quilting and mostly from one side of the quilt to the other-so since it's going to be sewn over with binding I just backstitch or sometimes I forget. I've only done a couple of things where I had to end stitching inside the binding area and I did the small stitches on one and the lockstitch on one.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Administrator

thanks very much for the link to that video. such an obvious solution ... and yet ... not one i'd have ever thought of on my own. :lol:

"cheater needles" are more commonly known as self-threading needles. you can get them just about anywhere needles are sold.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 AM

Thanks everyone. I do it like the video, only with a regular needle. The part that drives me crazy is threading the needle over and over with 54 year old eyes. I'll be dropping by Joann's today for some self-threading needles! (I really understand now why my grandma always kept me nearby while she was sewing so I could thread the needle for her!)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 AM

I always stitch in same place about 3 times with small stitch and then enlarge the stitch. I cut all threads at the fabric
Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 AM

Now why didn't I think of that? I have a cheater needle somewhere around here and never thought to use it on the thread tail. It was in a gift basket I got and since I can still see to thread a needle thought I didn't need it... yet.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 AM

I also do what LindaR does. Stitch in the same place a few times. Again, I've noticed that when all is said and done, washed and dried and ready to go, it's hard to find the knots and tails.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 PM

I went and bought Dritz Easy Threading Needles. Wow!!!!! This job is going about 5 times faster now. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you
Old 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM

I've used the "cheater needle" method, but sometimes I do it another way. I set the stitch length to zero, take a few stitches in place before I start, lift the presser foot and bring the bobbin thread to the top. Then I stitch a few more at zero in place, and then quilt normally. At the end I go back to zero and stitch in place. Takes longer but it avoids the bumps. The cheater method is good but man, sometimes you have SO many loose threads!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

I find a ultra fine crochet hook the easiest and fastest.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 AM

Oh wow I LOVE the 'cheeter' needle gott get one of those! :0