Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is There Help For Me? >

Is There Help For Me?

Is There Help For Me?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 AM

I love every bit of quilting except for the actual quilting. I am working on a baby quilt for my DGD. I have top half finished and I am already dreading quilting it. I haven't got the FMQ down yet. I have problems with my shoulder so hand quilting it isn't an option right now. Straight-line sewing won't do the top justice, I don't think. I don't want to tie it. Paying a LA to do it is out of the question, at least in my area. I will figure out something is for my DGD after all. I refuse to let this become a UFO.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:30 PM

I got a used mid arm ( old ) and its in garage so when it gets warm I will need some tops to practice on. I hope to find some people to partner with that needs top done and some that likes to finish binding them ( I hate this part ) this may fix some of the problems if you do not care what they finish like but can use them on your beds...
Old 02-21-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Anne P View Post
I am in possession of three quilt tops my MIL gave me that were made in probably the thirties or forties, which she was given a long time ago. I don't know who made them or the stories, but they are mine now. One is a waste, though, because it's gotten mildew on it which won't wash out.
Have you tried a little bleach. The good kind: chlorine bleach. Sounds dangerous, but don't use a whole lot. Just a few tablespoons in a wash load should do the trick without changing the actual colors very much in the rest of the quilt. Nothing would be lost if you try. It's not worth anything to you now.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 PM

maviskw, I did bleach it a little, but it didn't work. I haven't thrown it away yet because it's well made and all by hand. I have even thought of taking the bleached parts out (the muslin between the blocks) and replacing it. We'll see.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Anne P View Post
maviskw, I did bleach it a little, but it didn't work. I haven't thrown it away yet because it's well made and all by hand. I have even thought of taking the bleached parts out (the muslin between the blocks) and replacing it. We'll see.
Good luck on trying to fix it. I know I would try everything, too, and not throw it out.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 AM

I have the same problem. I like everything about quilting, it just I lose interest. I have a new rule for my self. If I want to start a new project, I have to finish two of mu UFO's. So far so good. That also means I get two empty containers for new projects to start collection patterns and fabric. And I do get projects done and this last year I used these projects for Christmas gifts.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:25 AM

I did "inventory" at the end of 2013. I've been keeping it up as I finish things and move them around. I have 1 quilt I'm currently quilting on my HQ Sweet Sixteen. I'm waiting for hanger system I ordered as it's getting so heavy with a lot of quilting. I have 23 tops of various sizes that need quilting, 21 projects in various stages of piecing, and I'm working on several BOMs. I also have binding made for several pet quilts that I made when I practicing with my Sweet Sixteen. Just need to put those one, but it will be good practice as that's the part I've done the least. I like it (love all hand work and have several of those I'm working on, but see them as long term projects), but I don't do it as much as it seems I've been spending a lot of time piecing. I took a binding class and it does seem to look better and get easier each time I do it. I've been quilting since 2010. It's crazy.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:21 PM

I think having unfinished projects is a common "disease" among quilters. Many of my quilt friend say the same thing.
Don't get discourage; just start something different, and take the advice given; put into a bag and number them, and go back to them. I have done that, and it does work!! I am getting my UFO's worked down; gradually!
Mariah.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:15 PM

I find that sometimes setting a kitchen timer helps. Just set it for 15 or 30 minutes and work on your blocks for that length of time. The fly lady suggests using bits of time like that and it is amazing how much you can accomplish in just a little bit of time. It's like that elephant as paulswalia suggested.