Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be? >

Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be?

Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:46 AM
Banned

Appears to me there needs to be a definitation of "ugly". Is it:
Color choices
Pattern choices
Fabric used
or......workmanship

How much does our personal preferences effect the creation of a "non-ugly or ugly" quilt.
There is a scene in the movie "How To Make An American Quilt" where Anna tells the group "I just don't want to make some ugly quilt". She is referring to color choices and her opinion of what is correct.

I believe we deny ourselves the pleasure and satisfaction of "charity" by getting too hung up on producing work we may only want in our own homes or what we would give our friends, relatives, children, grandchildren. I do have an issue with the attitude that sloppy work is ok. Good and servicable workmanship can be produced with what I consider unsuitable supplies and serve the ultimate need.

If one has a stack of donated trash fabric......sort out what can be used, donate to Goodwill what could be used by others and dump the rest. What may be trash to me just might be someone else's treasure.

There is a local quilt shop that has a closet where sewists literally dump bags of their unwanted stuff. We periodically sort it out. It contains decorator fabric swatches, fake fur, dressmaking fabric and a lot of quilt fabric.
The decorator fabric goes to make sleeping bags, fake fur for stuffed bears for the local police, dressmaking fabric to a local church that makes clothing to send overseas.........quilt fabric for quilts and anything not large enough for traditional quilts - get in a pile for string quilt blocks. I just wish we cleaned out more often. Folks need the products we could produce.

I consider this an exercise in creativity.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 AM

I only give to charity what I'd want to receive myself. I give things to the Goodwill that are in good condition only. Junk gets pitched. I do charity quilts, too. And I make sure they are sturdy and washable. No, they aren't heirlooms, very simple in fact. But I try to picture the receiver and I hope they get joy from my donation. Unsuitable fabric donations never get used--they get offered to my 4H sewing members or they get passed along to the Goodwill.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 AM

Sewmary, I couldn't agree with you more. Let me tell you a short little story. Many years ago, I had the opportunity to work at a house for teenagers while the original secretary was out on leave. I was asked if I would mind dressing the way the kids did, in other words jeans and tshirts not a business suit. It made the kids feel like I was one of them. The other thing was they took turns cooking lunch and I was asked to join them. Having said that, I got to know these kids fairly well. Their stories were very very sad (unfortunately my makeup doesn't allow me to not have very sad feelings for these kids) Anyway..this one day a huge truckload of clothing arrived from donators in the "Southend" (rich area of Halifax) What came out of those boxes was absolutely disgusting!!! (They had invited me to sit around the circle with them while they excitedly awaited to see what would fit them). One of the teenage girls turned to me with tears in her eyes and said why do these people think we could possibly wear any of this stuff. It broke my heart to see how devasted they were with the crap that was expected to make them happy. I don't have a lot, but when I donate to charity, it's still almost like new. So my point is, really think about how someone feels who isn't as fortunate as we are and how insulted they are with the crap we so kindly donate so we can get rid of it. Sorry to be so long winded but you would have had to see how devasted these kids were and how hopeless they felt.
Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
I view my charity quilts just like any other quilt I would make. In my world, if that charity quilt is not good enough to give to a family memeber then it is not good enought for anyone else. I don't believe that people who need charity deserve second hand quality or any old thing.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 AM

I agree wholeheartedly that charity quilts should be of a quality that will last, but I do not make "ugly" anything to give away, if I wouldn't use it in my own home, I don't make it for someone else.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 AM

Wow! Sounds like your group needs to clean their own house... That being said I have seen on this board where double-knits were great backings b/c they are warm. I can't imagine wanting to make wall-hangings as donation quilts so if the fabric cannot be washed, it is not useful to your cause. I also think it might be time to make guidelines for people who are hoping to donate fabric to your group. This will prevent future discussions. Donors could be suggested other venues to donate fabric/table clothes/sheets etc. I realize that does not solve the issue at hand now but maybe it would help your group define what they do actually want to do when fabric/goods are donated to them.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 AM

I would not give an "ugly" quilt to anyone but a color blind dog!!!!! How could anyone even make an ugly quilt and feel comfortable with giving it away...I love quilting way to much to disrespect quilts like that!!!
BTW I am not the quilting police nor would of one of my quilts come close to qualifying for a show...I just love the craft
Old 01-18-2012, 05:15 AM

I think it depends on the recipient. A quilt meant to comfort a cancer patient or a sick child, should be as nice as you can make it. A quilt going to a homeless person who is sleeping on the ground - well if I were in that situation I would NOT want a pretty quilt as I would be afraid of wrecking it. I think the Ugly Quilt Project is a good thing.

About the "don't make it too nice so the recipient won't sell it" sentiment that was mentioned in regards to quilts going overseas - well what if that person REALLY needs the money rather than the quilt? I thought that once we gave a gift, it was out of our hands?

I have posted before about a quilt guild in our area, that many years ago was making baby quilts to send to eastern Europe where children were dying of AIDS because hospitals were re-using needles and such. I wanted to SCREAM and say - Sell the quilts here, raise some money, and send them some medical supplies!!! so MORE kids won't get sick!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 AM

This was shared at guild one day. A charity quilt that was thought to be hideous by the people in the group was chosen first by a little guy, who had many to chose, from because he loved the colors. You never know.
Robin in TX
Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 AM

I have had to bite my tongue not to say anything when members of my charity group bring in donations.

It is not so much the colors as the quilting.

A few lines across is not enough to hold it together in my opinion.

A childs quilt is going to get dragged around and laundered. These will look like an old sack after washing it. I dont do fancy quilting, but at least stitch in the ditch no further than 4-6" apart. Some have it 10-12", that is not going to hold up. It may look ok now freshly stitched.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Iwantasew View Post
Some charities perfer ulgy quilts so they don't end up on the black market. The quilts are more likely to get to the people they are inteded to help.
I agree with this comment. In some third world countries, these quilts may be used underfoot or on the roof. There are stories of how the nice or pretty quilts never make it to their destinations because they have value on the black market. An ugly quilt may keep the sun off hungry children as well as a pretty one. The goal should be to make the quilt and get it to where it is needed. Keep up the good work.