Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want? >

Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want?

Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:43 AM

Default Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want?

So for the last couple of days I have been watching videos on different sewing machines that I would like to have. I know I want a sewing machine that is a sewing/embroidery and quilting machine but I haven't found one really. The embroidery machine I have looking at is Brother 6800 which is $360.82 and Juki TL-2010Q High Performance which is 999.00 I found this one I can make payments on. I really like the Janome 8900QCP but couldn't find a place to make payments online to get it. I need some advice on should I just break down and get two different sewing machines? or keep searching for a place online to get a Janome 8900QCP? the reason I say online is because my closes dealer is 2 hours away. I would really like your thoughts on this?
[h=1][/h]
Old 03-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Looking is fine but I suggest you get to a larger quilt show where dealers will have all sorts of brands that you can test drive. It is like buying a car, you need to test drive and see what works best for you. Have FUN!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 AM

I like the old stuff. I'd recommend a Singer 401A as a great all around machine. It doesn't do embroidery though. It doesn't matter to me, I do mine by hand when it comes up.
Rodney
Old 03-19-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by oklahomamom2 View Post
So for the last couple of days I have been watching videos on different sewing machines that I would like to have. I know I want a sewing machine that is a sewing/embroidery and quilting machine but I haven't found one really. The embroidery machine I have looking at is Brother 6800 which is $360.82 and Juki TL-2010Q High Performance which is 999.00 I found this one I can make payments on. I really like the Janome 8900QCP but couldn't find a place to make payments online to get it. I need some advice on should I just break down and get two different sewing machines? or keep searching for a place online to get a Janome 8900QCP? the reason I say online is because my closes dealer is 2 hours away. I would really like your thoughts on this?
I personally don't like the combination sewing and embroidery machines. I find the straight stitch is not nearly as secure and true if that machine also does embroidery. I own two embroidery only machines and can set them up to sew out a design and let it run while I am doing straight stich sewing on my other machine. My sewing setup consists of my "regular" sewing machine on one table with the two embroidery machines behind me on another table. I can hoop up a design on each of the embroidery machine, if so desired and let them run while I work on a straight stitch machine. When the embroidery machine needs a change of thread etc. I just whirl around on my typing chair and do what is needed, then resume both my embroidery and regular sewing. My projects get done in half the tme.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Administrator

they have not yet put a machine on the market that does everything i wish it would.
it's a good thing, too.
i could never afford it. LOL LOL LOL
Old 03-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Have you seen the Facebook group that does machine embroidery using vintage machines? It is beautiful. I tried it and my first attempt looked great. No fancy machine needed at all. I have been embroidering up a storm and it hasn't cost me anything but thread and stabilizer. I use an old metal embroidery hoop. The machine I use is an old Singer 99. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421958014741838/

I was about to buy a very expensive embroidery machine until I tried it. It's much more fun then watching a machine do the work for me. I feel like I am the creator, not the machine.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-19-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Have you seen the Facebook group that does machine embroidery using vintage machines? It is beautiful. I tried it and my first attempt looked great. No fancy machine needed at all. I have been embroidering up a storm and it hasn't cost me anything but thread and stabilizer. I use an old metal embroidery hoop. The machine I use is an old Singer 99. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421958014741838/

I was about to buy a very expensive embroidery machine until I tried it. It's much more fun then watching a machine do the work for me. I feel like I am the creator, not the machine.
Interestingly enough, I just printed out the manual for a Singer 99 today. I was surprised when I got to the section describing embroidering on that machine. There is a special throat plate to cover the feed dogs but that's about it.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:34 PM

I adore my dreamweaver combo. It does everything I want it to. There is no feature that I want that it doesn't have
Old 03-19-2015, 05:44 PM

I really prefer separate machines for separate activities. I frequently have my embroidery machine running while I am sewing something else. You can't do that with a combo machine. For quilting, I finally bought a sit down quilter, a Handiquilter Sweet 16. Yes, great quilters can do wonderful work on DSMs, but I can't :-) There is always a compromise in machines that do multiple things. Sometimes you just have to accept the compromise because of space or money, but I would really recommend at least looking at a separate embroidery machine.

Pam
Old 03-20-2015, 05:36 AM

I also prefer a separate embroidery machine. I have the Brother PE 770 for embroidery. It is the perfect machine for me because I'm a beginner with machine embroidery.