Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there some magic spell or fairy dust that'll help with free motion quilting?

I'm using a Pfaff Creative 1471. I finally figured out the presser foot setting to use - it's surely not clear in the manual! :? I've scoured the internet sites and youtube for help with FMQ.

Basically they all pretty much say to practice every day for 2 years and you might eventually get the hang of it. I think you must also have to hold your tongue right, turn your fingers into rubber, and mindmeld with the machine.

My hardest things to conquer are regulating speed, stitch length, and a wonky bobbin thread that wants to peek thru the top.

Any hints or words of wisdom?

Yes! Practice, practice, practice. Don't give up if mastery don't happen right away. It takes time.

Blog Entries
    Yes! The magic word is PRACTICE! I know it's a bummer but that is what it takes. I think the one of the hardest things for me to learn was how to stop without a jump in my stitching.

I feel your pain!!
    Have you seen these video? I've only watched the first 2 but she is easy to listen to and demonstrates well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A...layer_embedded

It's called Xanax and a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I've heard an 'adult' beverage will help...:) seriously!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing, I have added it to my favorites.

I finally gave up tried hand quilting. Much less frustrating for me...

It must be "try and cry" FMQ day. I've been making quilts for 20+ years, hand quilting and machine quilting straight lines only. So I have great machines with which to FMQ, I've read some recommended books, and I tried it early this morning. Hundreds of thousands of people do this, right? So no tension problems, no eyelashes, but it was just awful. I think everything is set just fine, because the stitch line is great except that it's jerky, ugly, and inconsistent. I could feel the thread's shame and disappointment at being involved. I can't trace a line, make any attractive shape, nothing nice at all. I sewed out a bobbin's worth on a 12"x 18" piece, which I then took directly to the rabbit cage to die the worst death any quilt can as a peed-upon chew rug. I went back to bed. Later, when I opened my thread drawer, the quilting weight threads were all cowering in fear. Even the piecing thread looked nervous. The worst of the whole story is that I was using the Bernina 440 with BSR, which is supposed to help, right? So I know it takes practice, but I'm pretty discouraged. It's also not AT ALL fun. Which is crazy, too...fabric :) + batting :) + thread :) + Bernina :))) = sad and sore like I did too much yard work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    It's called Xanax and a margarita.
    I could use a healthy dose of that right now! LOL!!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast