Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off? >

Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off?

Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off?

Old 01-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

Default Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off?

It drives me nuts and wastes much time when I'm quilting all day and have to stand and wait, shaking the iron, to "wake it up" and then wait for it to reheat. Seems like every time I need to use it, it's already shut off and cooled down. Are there any old fashioned irons that don't have the auto shut-off feature? I would love to have one for quilting.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

The Reliable Digital Velocity V100 can be used either way. If you press and hold in a button it turns off the auto-shut-off mode and the iron stays on as long as it's plugged in. It has the best steam of any iron I've owned, and can't leak.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:32 PM

I went to thrift store and bought some older irons, even got 2 new in box!!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:37 PM

What Dunster said. That iron is awesome!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The Reliable Digital Velocity V100 can be used either way. If you press and hold in a button it turns off the auto-shut-off mode and the iron stays on as long as it's plugged in. It has the best steam of any iron I've owned, and can't leak.
Or it's newer sister, the Velocity 200IR. Though, truly, there are many days when I have considered just buying a steamer. I used to work in an upscale clothing store & we used a steamer there for all the clothes. It heated up quickly, stayed hot for as long as it was on & did the best job of anything pressing everything from shirts & pants to curtains and tablecloths. Steamers cost more upfront, but also last a lot longer than irons.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I think some of the cheaper B&D irons don't have the auto shutoff. I always try to conserve energy. Do you realize how much power you waste if you leave your iron on?? It uses more electricity than any of your other appliances in your household.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
I went to thrift store and bought some older irons, even got 2 new in box!!
I did this also and loved my old irons because they got so hot......UNTIL one started on fire! Fortunately I was right theire and was able to snuff if out before any damage. Now I am afraid of old irons.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 AM

I have an older B & D that doesn't shut off automatically. I also have two very old ones, General Electric I think. If I am doing a lot of pressing I use the older ones as they are much heavier, don't shut off and press better. But, as cheryl222 says, the wiring can get old. You need to keep an eye on it. The wire/cord can easily be replaced if needed.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:39 AM

[h=1]Continental Electric CE23111 Steam Iron. It's available on Amazon, free shipping with Prime membership and costs less than $15[/h]
Old 01-07-2016, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I think some of the cheaper B&D irons don't have the auto shutoff. I always try to conserve energy. Do you realize how much power you waste if you leave your iron on?? It uses more electricity than any of your other appliances in your household.

When I'm in my sewing room I turn on my iron (non auto shut off) and it stays on until I quit for the day. I haven't noticed any difference in my electric bill if I sew everyday or once a week. I have the old style Black and Decker Classic that has no auto shut off. I see them new on Ebay from time to time.