Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a trick to matching seams? >

Is there a trick to matching seams?

Is there a trick to matching seams?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mamacandoit View Post
Thank you for the suggestions.
ive seen these two pronged pins... Are they any good?
Absolutely! I love these pins! My seam matching improved dramatically when I discovered "fork" pins. Of course, you still need to nest the seams. And be careful. Fork pins are VERY sharp!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

For starters - I wash all my washable fabrics before cutting them so there is little or no shrinkage when pressing the pieces or units.

Then I make sure that my pieces are the right size to fit together properly. Occasionally there is an error in the directions or the template. (How do I know this!)

I usually nest the seams. For units with sharp angles in them like the triangle in a square - I mark the pieces where the "points" are and match those points. And pin. I don't pin a lot.

I am working on a piece where many many seams come together - the seams are pressed open - I have resorted to hand basting to reduce slippage. There is still some slippage - and I'm living with it - but it does help.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
Absolutely! I love these pins! My seam matching improved dramatically when I discovered "fork" pins. Of course, you still need to nest the seams. And be careful. Fork pins are VERY sharp!
These work amazing! They really keep the fabric where you want it!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:52 AM

I struggled also with matching and two years into quilting it finally is working. I am getting more accurate with time and I nest and I almost never fail. I just seems to me that you have to find the technique that works for you and the more you do it the easier it gets. Looks so easy on the tutorials.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:13 AM

Some are better than others. I know you'll want to know the brand but it isn't Dritz. The Dritz seem too thick. Another little "trick", after you sew the seam, you can unpick the worst offenders and just redo a couple of stitches, not the whole row.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 AM

I don't know if they're any good, but I do know that they are expensive. Just use two pins, one on either side of the seam.

If you have created your blocks correctly, the points will be at the 1/4" seam allowance; however, no one ever makes every point perfectly. In order not to lose the points of your triangles, place a pin in the point where the stitches meet on one block, then into the second block (if there's also a point there). Do that in every point. Then, when you sew, make sure your needle is a couple threads outside the points (a scant seam), and sew from pin to pin. You must use a scant 1/4", because when you open your blocks, if the needle has gone exactly into the points, the thickness of the thread will take up a thread or two and the points will disappear.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:13 AM

when you pin 2 blocks together if one is a bit bigger, put it on the bottom. The feed dogs will ease it in. Remember 'bigger on bottom' (sort of like many of us!)
Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 AM

Fonz & Porter call it "baggy bottoms" on the bottom.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Since I have started using the glue stick my seams are matching up so much better. I don't pin either, I use the clips. I put the glue on, then clip it and go the row. The matching is so much better.
I use this method also, and have never had such perfect seams...the 1 thing I'd like to add, though, is that after using the glue stick, I put a pin in at about 1/4"(to simulate my sewing line..I just eyeball it) and flip the pieces open...very easy to see if you have a nicely lined up seam or not, and if I do, then I pinch the 2 sides together just to set it, if not, the glue is still wet, and the pieces slide easily till I get them where I want them...then just flip, make sure, pinch them together and remove your pin.
By the time you're done doing a few like this, the first few have dried, and you can sew like a pro!!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 PM

One thing I haven't seen is using starch on fabrics - that helps with stability doesn't it? :-)

Marysewfun