Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is there a way to get scorch marks out of satin material?

Please help! I am making satin dresses for my youngest daughter's wedding next Friday. That sounds funny . . . the dresses are for my newest granddaughters, whose sisters will be in the wedding party. I used a press cloth to iron the seams, but noticed the material has waffled a bit. If nayone can help, I would be most grateful.

Thank you!

Nellie

Nell, I found this stain removal guide. Scroll way, way down to the list of stains....and you will find some help on scorch. I would test it on a piece of scrap! (scorch the scrap if necessary.)

http://vintagesewing.info/1930s/31-ldc/ldc-09.html

I hope something here will work for you.

June

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome to the site! Sorry that I can't help with your problem, but hopefully you will get some ideas from others that will help :D

Thank you, June! Actually, it isn't a true scorch mark . . . more like wrinkles in the material?

Nell, then have you tried duplicating the wrinkles or creases and using a ight steam....or pressing from the under side? or with a pressing cloth?
    Next, phone a dry cleaner and ask how they deal with this problem. I am sure the have garmetns that need attention in this way.

June

I had to use a damp (not wet wet, just dampened) pressing cloth and a wool setting to my iron last spring when I had the same problem. Also, try to iron on the wrong side of the fabric and use a mist of water on the pressing cloth. It's the only thing I found that worked on the four satin dresses I had to make.

Happy Sewing,
    Sharon

Actually, this happened when I used the pressing cloth. I probably had the steam on too hot a setting. I'll try a dampened press cloth next.

Thank you!

Thank you, Sharon. I will try dampening the press cloth.

Have a great day!