Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thermore Batting

Thermore Batting

Has anyone used thermore batting? They claim that it has more insulation factor and that it can be quilted up to 8 inches apart. Does it really make a warmer quilt, and does stitching that far apart leave the quilt top saggy?

MTS
    Banned
    More insulation than what? Other polys? Cotton?

I used it once for my grandmother's quilt - but I wanted the thinnest batting so it wouldn't be heavy on her legs, and she'd be able to move it around easily.
    The quilting on it is definitely way closer than 8" - but I wouldn't want it that far apart anyway for aesthetic reasons.

Thermore is often used for clothing (jackets) where you want/need the piece to have a soft drape without the bulk.
    I think it has a 1/8" loft.

It would never be what I'd choose for a warm quilt, but others I'm sure will know more on the subject.

Thermore is very thin and for clothing and wallhangings it is very nice. However, it is not for warmth, seems to almost disappear within the weight of the front and back fabric of a quilt and is only if you want such a very thin layer for a summer type spread. It washes well but you might not notice any loft at all.

I've used thermore, it is very thin and lightweight. It's great if you want a lightweight quilt and with less bulk it's much easier to machine quilt a bed size. It is very uniform in thickness and drapes well too. I don't know about quilting it 8 inches apart, technically it would probably work, but I always quilt more heavily than that.

Blog Entries
    Where xo you get this batt?
    At first i thought you ment the batt with the foil inside.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Where xo you get this batt?
    At first i thought you ment the batt with the foil inside.
    I saw it in a connecting threads catalog. It states "The hollow fibers of this 100% polyester (siliconized) batting act as superb insulators. Quilt up to 8" apart. No srinkage. It is only available in this catalog in queen size.

Blog Entries
    There is a 30% off sale on it and other Hobbs batting at Connecting Threads right now.
    Got fabric?

I don't know about thermore, but for comfort and warmth wool is ny favorite. Kinda pricey, but even my hubby can tell a difference and loves it. I also use WnN for old time look. And I now use Quilter's Dream poly most if the time since my private class with Karen McTavish. My machine likes all three.
    Last edited by knlsmith; 01-16-2013 at 03:09 PM.