Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are these blocks doomed? >

Are these blocks doomed?

Are these blocks doomed?

Old 10-24-2013, 06:01 PM

That's not scorched. It's a transfer of the yellow dye onto the white fabric, from the yellow fabric next to it, when the iron moved across the yellow onto the white. I had it happen to me once with a red dye onto a white fabric, and all my fabrics were prewashed/shrunk before I cut anything. The problem is in the manufacturing of the offending fabric. It's not your fault. There is a name for this, too, which I can't think of right now (something like crackling or crazing ??). When it happened to me, I put a tiny bit of liquid soap onto a clean damp washcloth and rubbed it out, then rinsed it. But if I was careless with which way I moved my iron, it would happen all over again, even in the exact same place. Big bummer, because the quilt was a gift. But after I got all the red smears out, I decided it shouldn't be a problem, because I don't expect the recipient will be ironing her quilt anytime.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 PM

There was a THREAD titled SCORCHED FABRIC a couple of months back that provided several different methods for removing the discolored area. Hopefully you can do a search for it and find a method that will work for you. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
Maybe tea dyeing?????
I think this is a great idea if you can't get the marks off of your project.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

I have used peroide and even a weak bleach solution on the end of a Q-tip. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:30 AM

I saw an article that said tea dyeing is a no-no. The tanic acid in tea will eat the fabric. They suggect brown paint.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:56 AM

Make them up into table runners or something small and then wash to see what happens. Try some of the above suggestions but I wouldn't make them into a quilt unless I did a strong tea dye or something that covered it up satisfactorily. Depends on how much you are attached to them and whether they were made by someone you love. If not then you are free to use them as you wish.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:18 AM

Mimi, that block is beautiful and the yellow is so perfect. I hope you can save all of them.
Maybe you could undo and then replace the scorched parts?
I read that coffee has less tannic acid than tea and that your fabric would then have a life expectancy of about 75 years. I wonder how long you can expect tea dyed fabric to last. Coffee dye creates a different look than tea though and I can't see it looking nice with that cheery yellow. It has been my experience that the colored fabrics don't take tea dyeing well, but the white and cream fabrics do.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:42 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

sew em up and snuggle under them this winter. or donate them to an abused women's shelter. or make small quilts and donate to an animal shelter-concrete floors or cages are mighty cold. use the blocks. A little color/scorching on fabric isn't fatal to any one or animal when they are trying to get warm!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:50 AM

It doesn't look like scorch to me. If it were, I would think you would see the imprint of the iron.

Make it up and wash it as suggested. If it still isn't OK, then it's time to donate it to a shelter. (Any kind of shelter.)
Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 AM

Thank you all. I really love these blocks and wish you could see them. There are sixteen in various colors. I'm thinking the problem could possibly be a not too clean bottom of the iron. I'm going to keep on making blocks and pray for the best.