Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are these feedsacks? >

Are these feedsacks?

Are these feedsacks?

Old 05-05-2016, 06:54 AM

I have a vintage quilt that used sugar sacks and then appliqued butterflies on the blocks. Some of them have printing still slightly visible. One thing that the level of coarseness depended on was the original use of the sack. It makes sense that sugar and flour sacks would be better if they were tightly woven. Animal feed sacks could get by with a coarser weave.

At our quilt documentation day at the museum a few weeks ago, a family brought in a double wedding ring quilt where the backing was made out of flour sacks. They were not printed with flowers or such, but had the original words and trademark picture completely clear. With a little research a person could maybe get an idea of the date of the sacks, because the brand name of the flour and the mill would be unique. Even the font of the brand name could be a clue if you could find some of the mill's history.

This is what makes quilt research so interesting!!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:13 AM

All the ones I have seen my family used and DD had in his store were smaller prints. He had flour, sugar and feed sacks .Their may have been larger prints I never saw but I never saw any that large. DM would always go with him to the warehouse to choose what she wanted so that may have just been her choices.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Melanie Rudy View Post
I found a link with some history and a couple of pictures. Here you go: https://blog.etsy.com/en/feed-sacks-...abric-history/
Thank you!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
There are flour and sugar sacks as well as feed sacks. I have seen feed sacks very similar to your fabric. Does it matter?
I was just curious. I thought it would be neat if they were actual feedsacks because they are from my aunt.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
I have several of your prints and mine are still a 'bag'. My bags are also of different coarseness, meaning some are older than others. They started making them smoother because ladies used them for clothing. My Dad got feed in them and Mother made us two girls things from the smooth ones, that was in the mid-50's.
You have a treasure and you know who the fabrics came from, more special.
Jan
Thank you for sharing this, Jan. :-)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I recognize the yellow one in the middle. Feed sacks differed through time and location. Do they feel slightly stiff?

I'd say yes they are.
Yes, they are all quite stiff.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Thank you for your responses, everyone! I really enjoy learning about the history of fabrics and quilts. I had a feeling they were feedsacks, but they are a treasure either way.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:15 PM

I remember my grandmother who lived on a chicken farm always told my grandpa to make sure the sacks matched. I was thrilled when I was allowed to choose the patterns back in the early 1940s. The fabric was coarse and the prints were small but I loved the short sets and sun suits my grandmother made me. I have a quilt made from feed sacks and there aren't any large prints in that fabric either.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
I remember my grandmother who lived on a chicken farm always told my grandpa to make sure the sacks matched. I was thrilled when I was allowed to choose the patterns back in the early 1940s. The fabric was coarse and the prints were small but I loved the short sets and sun suits my grandmother made me. I have a quilt made from feed sacks and there aren't any large prints in that fabric either.
Thank you for sharing your memories. I was born in the 60s and had forgotten that my grandmother made short sets and sun suits for my sister and I.