Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
These Quilting Board Challenges, how do they work? >

These Quilting Board Challenges, how do they work?

These Quilting Board Challenges, how do they work?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:14 AM

Default These Quilting Board Challenges, how do they work?

I love being challenged. It keeps you inspired. It gets those creative juices flowing! I have started board challenges, but it was on a craft board where anything goes. They are a rewarding experience whether you are beginners or very experienced. It is where you learn and share from each other. I love them!

So, how do you know when to join one? Looks like some are a monthly and quite a few are annual. Are any of you in them? How do you like them? Which are your favorites? Are you in several?

I want to join one! But, some seemed closed or everyone is too busy quilting! Or I am just a day late and a dollar short! LOL
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 AM

The challenges I've participated in have been the UFO, stash buster and fabric moratorium. I find them interesting and motivational. There's really no sign up or requirement to "finish" on those.
And I haven't been entirely successful in any of them either. Lol!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

There are several places on the board where you can participate.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...-contests-f21/
http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...ow-robins-f11/
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/
There's not an easy way to be notified of new events, so you just need to check back every so often to see if something new has been added. The only ones I know of that are 'closed' events are where there is a swap. The host needs to pair folks up and/or know the number of participants to make the swap. You need to sign up by replying to the thread before it's full. The other events, like challenges & block of the month/week, you can just jump on the wagon at any time by posting to the thread.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:33 AM

I participated in this Patriotic Challenge last year and I believe it is an ongoing project with some of the members. http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...e-t186260.html
One member used to "host" a Virtual quilting day once a month and I enjoyed that, not sure if she still does that, but I've also seen lately where another member started a Virtual quilting weekend, where you work on projects & post pictures through out the day/weekend. It's kind of fun to see what everyone else is working on.

I'm also participating in the Block of the Month this year, and find that fun to see all the different colourways people use in their same pattern, you can jump in at any time & either catch up or just make the ones you like.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 PM

I just participated in my first swap - the July Secret Pal Swap. I choose this Swap b/c you aren't required to "make" something. I'm very new to this and am not comfortable with my abilities - not ready for anyone else to see my work just yet. But the Secret Pal Swap lets you send and receive fabric pieces, notions, candy, book, pattern, etc. You simply fill out a questionairre and send it via PM to the swap hostess. She will then you send you someone else's completed questionairre. You make your selections of items to mail to your Secret Pal. It's a good way to make some new friends within the board!!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 PM

Yes, we have done the secret pal thing on CraftForum. I might try that a little later. I kinda want to get my feet wet, but not drown.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 AM

I love the virtual quilt day. It means I show others my progress during the day and I get a reply. Being someone who lives alone it is very satisfying. I have been looking for one sometimes now but although have asked the question still not seen one.