Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them? >

They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them?

They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them?

Old 06-21-2016, 03:52 PM

I replace things when they no longer meet my needs. This might be because it's worn out, or just because my needs have changed. For example, I kept my first sewing machine for over 20 years. I thought I would keep the second one just as long, but it turned out that after 3 years I wanted a bigger throat space, so I upgraded.

I give away items that don't meet my needs, but are still workable (for example, I like trying out rotary cutters, but I give away the ones that aren't my favourites). I've got another 20+ years in the workforce ahead of me, so right now I have more money than time. I'm not going to waste time using a rotary cutter blade that skips, when I can replace it and get on with my cutting. My jar for dull or bent pins sits next to my pin dish. Basically, as soon as something turns my fun into a chore, it's outta here.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Basically, as soon as something turns my fun into a chore, it's outta here.
This goes for everything in my house, not just my sewing supplies. I'm not a make do young wife and mother anymore so replacing old for new is an earned privilege.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Being a true irish woman I will use something up to the last. I only replace something early if I find a great deal on it and know it is coming to the end of it's functional life.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:45 PM

Rulers: Haven't yet but some are showing wear and tear
Cutting Mats: Haven't yet but some are showing wear and tear
Rotary cutters: Does it count that I went to buy blades and it was cheaper to buy another rotary cutter?
Rotary blades: When they start to skip
Pins: Constantly, I must be hard on pins because I am always needing more pins
Needles: hand and machine get replaced as they get dull
Chairs: Still on original one
Sewing Machines: First one lasted 10 years (never liked it), Second one is still going strong after 20 years.
Scissors: "Replace after someone uses them for cutting something like sandpaper, wire....."
Seam Rippers: When I loose them! Somewhere in the house is a huge pile of seam rippers, I just haven't found it yet.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Rulers- when markings worn off, or I break it
Mats- as needed I have a couple Olfas
R. Cutters- every few years-if they are just plain worn out!
R. Blades- when I'm done dealing with the skips
Pins- when dull or bent
Needles- when dull, bent-
Chair- have a good one
Sewing Machines- have a 20 yr. old Pfaff, plus a FW, 301A and a 15 Clone. Think I'm good for a while~~
Scissors-have lots! Faves are my Ginghers
Seam Rippers- when dull, or can't find any more!
Old 06-21-2016, 05:44 PM

Rulers-haven't replaced any, had most that get regular use for at least 10years
Cutting Mats- replaced 1rst lasted about 10years
Rotary cutters- have replaced for a different type but not because it was worn. Old ones still work 15years later
Rotary blades-when I have to keep going over a spot because blade is skipping(wish I would do it more often like my needles but sometimes I get lazy about taking them apart)
Pins- hardly use so still using the same ones
Needles-every new project-creates less frustration
Chairs-still on the same one unless using the dining room table
Sewing Machines- I have upgraded twice in 15years but all of my older models still run-one is 21 years old, not always a necessity to replace but sometimes just want new features. not looking to upgrade for many years now that I have my baby
Scissors-have so many pairs, all still good, some old some not( I am the ruler and scissor queen as I have TMTC)
Seam Rippers- I have about 4 pair but mostly use the one that came with my machine. They can last years, I guess replace when dull as I have no idea, haven't replaced mine
Old 06-21-2016, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
We seem to be willing to buy the obviously consumed items such as thread, fabric, stabilizers, batting, etc. before they are completely used up.
Just noticed this last bit. I never buy stabilizers or batting before they're used up unless I'm going to run out mid-project. Fabric I don't buy much more than what I need either. Thread is the only thing I buy lots of. I do needle turn & want it to match exactly. I use cream, white & grey for piecing and never buy more of those until I'm nearly out, but the thread I use for applique I have dozens of 200m spools in various colors & shades and will probably buy more when I start my next quilt. That & needles (both hand & machine) are the only items I always have much more than what I need for any project. I hate sewing with dull or bent needles and love all the beautiful spools of thread. I keep them in plastic jars for now, but am thinking of upgrading to glass apothecary jars so I can admire them at all times. I get excited about all my beautiful Aurifil threads the way many quilters on this Board get excited about "petting" their stacks of beautiful fabrics. I justify my thread habit by saying that thread is only $3.95/spool and doesn't take up as much space ... but I could probably deal with thread that wasn't an exact match if I didn't love looking at all the pretty colors so much.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

I replace items only when necessary.
quilting on my Bernina 1530
original Omnigrid rulers that I bought when they first came out.
pins get toss when they are bent.
needles are replaced when dull.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:53 PM

rulers: mixture of sizes which replaced when break or not right size
cutting mat: if it bows or looses the lines
rotary cutter: never just a mixture of sizes bought over 10 years
rotary blades:I buy packs ready for when blade skips threads( very good at loosing the new pack)
pins straight as I need them. Frequently bend them as I buy very fine
safety pins very good at loosing or giving away and not having enough for next project.
Needles machine and hand try to replace needle weekly for machine and hand needle when difficult to push through fabric
chair I sit on anything as long as it's soft hate plastic chairs
sewing machine, I have a selection of 6. Buy when I feel I need a new challenge
scissors I have plenty from mum and grandma
seam ripper these seem to come and go. Try not to loose them.
Thread one colour a gray for piecing, top thread buy depending on colour of quilt same rule if hand stitching
batting buy new for each project as no storage area for large roll
fabric: I buy for each project and limit a stash to one cupboard.
steam a seam as I want to use as it doesn't store and keep in good use.

my worse problem is not changing my sewing machine needle enough by reading my list.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:16 AM

I guess i pin alot more than some. I find the pins get dull after a while and they are hard bushing thru the fabric.